Really Artgeek Stuff – from Sketch to Drawing to Monotype [PG]

19 Sep

Just completed a new large full-colour monotype using the 3-colour reduction method.

Drawing, monotype and ghost.

I started off with a sketch which I did in a life drawing session then I developed it into a larger drawing [bottom image] in compressed charcoal, graphite block and white oil pastel onto a sheet of recycled Bockingford 250gsm paper. It had been used for a cyanotype and then thrown away – that’s the bluish colour you can see in places.  Then I traced it and used the reverse of the tracing to do a 3-colour reduction monotype, a method similar to that used by the Impressionists Degas and Monet.

I did the first two layers, in Process Yellow and Process Red on Saturday afternoon and went back to Swansea Print Workshop this morning to do the final layer in Process Blue. This method gives a lovely rich black and a full range of colours. I print onto BFK Rives 250gms using oil-based litho/relief inks thinned with plate oil. The method gives one full colour print [the centre image] and one ‘ghost’ monotype [the upper image]. Degas used to work over his ghost images with pastels and these are now possibly famous than his paintings.

This is REALLY geeky stuff isn’t it? 🙂

9 Responses to “Really Artgeek Stuff – from Sketch to Drawing to Monotype [PG]”

1. K.A. Renninger October 14, 2011 at 23:47 #

This is so neat! Printing is such an interesting process. I love the purples/ burgundy in the cloth.
    Thanks for liking my post.

• Rosie Scribblah October 14, 2011 at 23:48 #

Thank you – I love the process and will be doing another tomorrow – it takes a good long day to produce one of these.

2. Doodlemum September 24, 2011 at 16:00 #

ooh thats beautiful. I really like the colours.

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2011 at 20:59 #

Thanks. The technique gives the most amazing colours

3. Judith Hladik-Voss September 20, 2011 at 20:54 #

Would love to learn more. I’m a printmaker-monotype/etching etc. Not familiar with this technique.

• Rosie Scribblah September 20, 2011 at 21:40 #

There’s more information on my website http://www.scribblah.co.uk. The site isn’t finished yet so apologies for it being a bit all over the place, but the stuff about monotype techniques is finished. If you have any queries please just ask 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2011 at 21:00 #

Thanks Judith – there’s a fair bit about this technique on my website http://www.scribblah.co.uk and an American printmaker, Vinita Voodt, does a lot with it too.

4. ainescannell September 19, 2011 at 22:43 #

Hi Rosie
    Is that what you call this behaviour ie being a geek
    well that must mean I am a total geek – and I had not even realised it !! inspiring stuff !!