Cats And Seaweed

16 Apr

Ink sketches: cat throwing shapes

Today I fancied doing some tehnical exercises in my sketchbook, just for a few minutes, so I squinted my eyes and drew the outline shapes thrown by my little cat Sparta. It’s not that easy because the second you start to draw a cat, they fidget. Even when they’re asleep! It didn’t take long to scribble these and it helps to analyse positive and negative shapes and to improve accuracy. They’re not pretending to be great art, but in my opinion artists, like all other professionals, need to practice regularly.

Earlier I cooked up some traditional Welsh laverbread to go with locally cured sausage and bacon from Pontiets for our tea. I scraped the glutinous laver into the pan and put its plastic pot on the table. When I turned back, Sparta was on the table [naughty girl], licking the remains of the laver with relish. In my experience, cats are quite conservative eaters, generally preferring only food that can be caught and killed so I was really surprised to see her tucking into laverbread. Must be celebrating her Welsh heritage :).

11 Responses to “Cats And Seaweed”

1. frozenroom April 16, 2012 at 23:45 #

I haven’t tasted Laverbread since I was working in Holyhead in the early 80’s. My landlady used to cook me laverbread breakfast cake with bacon & scrambled eggs. I was very dubious about eating seaweed but I loved it.I Have tried it elsewhere but nothing comes close to emulating a Mrs Williams breakfast…….Enjoy

2. annisik51 April 16, 2012 at 22:54 #

I love these shapes – very cattish – and arranged in this way, very satisfying, artistically. And my cat was eating olive paste earlier today – loves olives, she does. Ann

• Rosie Scribblah April 16, 2012 at 23:52 #

wow olives – that’s a new one on me. I once had a cat that loved to suck on a small slice of honeydew melon

• annisik51 April 21, 2012 at 11:28 #

My dear departed Persian rescue (Holly) liked cheese and fruit cake!

• Rosie Scribblah April 21, 2012 at 11:53 #

Little Ming loves cheese but fruit cake? bizarre 🙂

• annisik51 April 22, 2012 at 17:01 #

She alerted us to the presence of a burglar in our home during the night, too! He had stashed our TV and various other things in a very big cushion cover (mine) and had to run off and leave them behind – they were sitting in the middle of the sitting room floor when I went downstairs. She was a great cat and still sadly missed.

• Rosie Scribblah April 22, 2012 at 22:02 #

wow what a brilliant little cat

• annisik51 April 22, 2012 at 23:17 #

She was that.

3. Russell. April 16, 2012 at 20:28 #

This post made me hungry! Sparta is a great name for a cat by the way, Russell.

• Rosie Scribblah April 16, 2012 at 22:49 #

I ate TOO MUCH and now have indigestion!!! Serves my own right lol. I’m not sure I should have called her Sparta – she lives up to her name!