Getting Physical.

25 Apr

Drawing over prepared paper.

Getting this studio, almost a year ago now, has transformed my life. I’ve been so productive, my output has increased dramatically, my work is going in directions I’d never imagined and I’m making enough art to get into exhibitions all over the place. In the past, working from home and fitting my art in around a job, meant that for years I didn’t develop significantly or produce enough work to sell. A lot of people don’t realise that being an artist is being two different things – a manufacturer and a retailer. You have to make the art; then you have to get it out there and sell it. It’s not easy and I’m still in the early stages.

And it’s very physical. Because lots of people do art as a hobby they often make the mistake of thinking that it must be quite nice to sit around all day and potter with a paintbrush, but when you’re working at an easel all day, or at a printing press, you can be on your feet for 6, 7, 8 hours, using shoulder and arm muscles over and over again. They need to be exercised regularly so they don’t seize up. I do some small workouts with little dumbbells, a Wrist Ball and Chinese balls, when I remember, to keep my arms, hands and shoulders fit.

I’m working up a series of large drawings from smaller ones I did at life drawing group. They’ll eventually become the template for full-colour reduction monotypes too. Here’s one I started today, working in charcoal onto Fabriano paper previously primed and coloured with acrylic paints in yellow ochre, permanent rose and pthalo blue. It’s coming along nicely but still quite a way to go. I’ve left the hands til the end because they’re the hardest. I’ll work up four or five drawings and then book a few days at Swansea Print Workshop to create a batch of monotypes.

9 Responses to “Getting Physical.”

1. pointsthruprose April 26, 2012 at 17:44 #

Excellent post! I totally get what you are saying as my studio is my dining room at the moment. However your writing gives me hope that I can make the transition to a full time Artist if I keep working at it.
    I love seeing some colour in your work, the piece looks beautiful so far..
    Jackie

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2012 at 18:00 #

Thanks jackie. I’m so lucky to be able to do this full time, but I have about 2-3 years to make it work. I’ve had a year so …………

2. Magill April 26, 2012 at 14:09 #

You give me hope for my artistic future…at the moment I am fitting mine in around my “regular job.” Thank you for the hope and the beautiful work! 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2012 at 17:22 #

Thanks for your appreciation of my work, it means a lot to me. I think most artists have to work in the ‘real world’ for a while, just to make ends meet, but I think it gives us life experience that we can feed into our work when we’re in a better financial position 🙂

3. jhv57 April 26, 2012 at 00:36 #

I’m blown away! Saw the prepared paper yesterday–wasn’t expecting-well, wasn’t expecting!
    This is an incredibly strong direction-can’t wait to see more of this piece and more of the series.

And, yes, art isn’t for sissies! I have been working on my large pieces–hefting them around the other day ( they’re “only” fabric ) my arms and shoulders were aching….

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2012 at 07:35 #

I wish the public could see more of artists at work. There are so many misconceptions out there and I think it leads to us not being taken seriously as professionals. Thanks for your comments on the work – I’ve been struggling to get a direction since the New Year but it’s oming thick and fast now. Are you going to post your large pieces?

4. Tin Roof Press April 25, 2012 at 23:43 #

the 2 side by side look very interesting.

• Rosie Scribblah April 26, 2012 at 07:39 #

Thanks, I’m starting to get a feel for the process of taking an initial drawing and working it through to finished monotypes.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Flappy Hands! « scribblah - April 26, 2012

[…] carried on with the drawing I started yesterday. I left the hands to the last because they’re HARD! So I spent most of this afternoon […]

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: