Discipline And Plotting

11 Jun

I’m an expressionist scribbler, preferring to draw freehand as much as possible. But now and again it’s good to get some discipline into my work to refine my technique. Here’s a plotted drawing I did a while back, using a very simple rough grid to plot the main points of the body and relate them to one another with some accuracy. These drawings will never be exhibited but they’re important, because they are the buidling blocks of our trade. These are the sort of things that most people never see – we show our polished, finished art but rarely the steps that lead up to it. I think that by not showing the practice pieces and the sketchbooks and the stages of development, we’re doing ourselves a disservice. How many times have we heard, “a child of six could do it”? Well, y’know, they couldn’t, because they haven’t spent years doing drawings like this to get things exactly right. So there šŸ˜›

8 Responses to “Discipline And Plotting”

1. mississhippi June 13, 2012 at 06:16 #

I completely agree with you about showing the steps – showing what goes into the final work. And just because you can draw doesn’t mean it is accurate – I’ve found that out the hard way many times! lol

• Rosie Scribblah June 13, 2012 at 09:05 #

Oh yes, once you start measuring, it’s shocking how off I can be LOL

2. Hansi June 12, 2012 at 14:27 #

Amen and Right-On. Great draftsmanship isn’t necessarily a talent one is born with, it’s a skill that need constant sharpening.

• Rosie Scribblah June 12, 2012 at 20:10 #

You’re absolutely right there, Hansi. Doesn’t matter how shattered you are, got to keep at it. Same with everything really.

3. Alli Farkas June 11, 2012 at 20:48 #

No kidding!

4. Tin Roof Press June 11, 2012 at 20:23 #

besides a children of 6 have terribly hand eye co-ordination.

• Rosie Scribblah June 11, 2012 at 21:04 #

yeah. and they run around going ‘aaaahhhhh’ all the time