A Life Drawing Quartet

21 Jun

Midsummer’s Day and we have torrential rain! It’s humid and horrible but it was life drawing as usual this evening down at Swansea Print Workshop. I made an elderflower and lemon drizzle cake for tea break and set out to do something different with my drawings tonight. I did a short course in Renaissance style drawing a few weeks ago and I’ve done the first day of a phtotpolymer printmaking course this week. I’m hooked on the technique but the plates are quite expensive so I’ve decided to start working on A6. My usual full-colour monotypes are A1, so there’s a huge difference. I prepared some handmade paper [bought from the Tate Gallery – it’s gorgeous and wasn’t too expensive] with sepia wash, ripped it into A6 pieces and worked on them with a dip pen and Indian ink, brushes and washes and did the highlights with a fragment of white conte crayon. I did the four drawings in an hour and a half and I think I have enough to work with and adapt for a couple of little photopolymer plates next week. Watch this space………

18 Responses to “A Life Drawing Quartet”

1. Naomi October 1, 2015 at 18:52 #

Love these! I want to try that cake lol

• Rosie Scribblah October 1, 2015 at 23:13 #

I made an apple and lemon drizzle cake for life drawing this evening πŸ˜€

• Naomi October 1, 2015 at 23:17 #

There is no cake at mine I went yesterday! I specialise in banana cake πŸ˜€

• Rosie Scribblah October 2, 2015 at 06:31 #

Mmmmm I make that when there are squidgy black bananas in the fruit bowl, with a chocolate peanut butter topping.

2. edenfre July 1, 2012 at 16:07 #

These are beautiful. And I love the rough edges on the paper πŸ™‚

3. Awesome post!!!

4. notes to the milkman June 22, 2012 at 18:23 #

“an elderflower and lemon drizzle cake for tea break…” What? We’re lucky to get ginger biscuits! Looking forward to the solar plate versions.

5. Nancy Lemon (@MagillLiL) June 22, 2012 at 13:18 #

These are fantastic. Good work!

6. ziggyshortcrust June 22, 2012 at 10:00 #

These are fabulous. I love the top right hand corner image.

• Rosie Scribblah June 22, 2012 at 13:30 #

I’ll be developing some of them into photopolymer etchings

7. frozenroom June 21, 2012 at 23:18 #

Love them πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. One From The Archives 17: Rinascere #10 | scribblah - October 1, 2015

[…] first blog about this drawing, along with others in the series can be found here. The background washes are my own addition to the technique and further enhance the impression of […]

2. One From the Archives :1 | scribblah - September 8, 2015

[…] image is from a series of my life drawings which I blogged about at the time . They use the rich, descriptive nature of the technique to it’s full. The wonderful texture […]