Captain Cat And The Rubber Slug

23 Jul

I did about a dozen drawings on the street during the ‘Disruptions II’ event in Swansea on Saturday afternoon – this is the last one I’m going to blog but the set is going up on the Elysium Artspace website some time soon. Here’s Wanda Zyborska performing to unsuspecting citizens as a large rubber slug-like living sculpture  made from recycled rubber inner tubes from agricultural machines.

It’s the start of the summer holidays and after months of torrential rain I took advantage of the sunshine and the company of a small nephew to go out sketching. I bought the nephew a new sketchbook and some charcoal pencils, ignoring his plea for a new Nintendo DS (I don’t even know what that is). We sat in some shade in the Swansea Marina and drew the sculpture of Captain Cat, a character from Dylan Thomas.  The boy’s drawing is a lot better than mine. Here it is. He’s 8.

8 Responses to “Captain Cat And The Rubber Slug”

1. notes to the milkman July 24, 2012 at 23:51 #

Rosie has a rival!

2. Willy Wheelie Bin (@WillyGreyBin) July 24, 2012 at 09:26 #

2 very different but interesting pictures. Your nephew’s shows real promise – the next Augustus John?

• Rosie Scribblah July 24, 2012 at 13:07 #

I hope he doesn’t behave like Augustus John though lol 🙂 I have a wheelie bib drawing to post for you – I’ll put it onto twitter when I work out how to do Twitpics

3. An Elephant's Child July 23, 2012 at 23:17 #

That is a very good drawing, for an eight year old. I doubt I could draw that well at his age – or now come to think of it.
    What a very artistic family you are 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah July 24, 2012 at 05:38 #

Thanks – must be the genes. He loves drawing – he’s happy to sit and sketch for hours and he likes going to art galleries. Born not made I suspect.

4. Hansi July 23, 2012 at 20:56 #

Looks like you were very disruptive too. 🙂