Sad Day, Happy Flowers

31 Jul

Yesterday was a sad one, the funeral of my dear aunt who died after a long illness, aged 87. Although we had been expecting it for some time, it’s still a shock and grieving is hard. She’s the last of her generation on that side of my family, which means that my cousins and sibling and I are now the elders. That’s a sobering thought for a bunch of baby boomers who still feel like we’re 25 – well in our heads anyway. She lived through World War Two and before that had suffered terrible poverty during the Great Depression. Her husband of 66 years and childhood sweetheart had gone to school without shoes or socks, whatever the weather. We, thankfully, have no idea of that level of poverty anymore. They created the welfare state after the war, the National Health Service, free universal education, decent housing, social services, pensions, all done for our benefit, to make sure we didn’t suffer the deprivation they had. And now we see selfish millionaire public-schoolboy politicians trying to dismantle what that brave generation worked so hard and so selflessly to achieve. I have no words to describe my contempt.
As we waited in the watery sunshine for the hearse to arrive at the pretty little church in Waunarlwydd, I noticed a small group of pale purple pansies growing out of a crack at the base of the step leading into the church. Nobody had doused them with weedkiller and people stepped over them carefully. I love pansies, they have those daft little faces in the middle of their nodding heads with big ears. It cheered me up to see them surviving in such an unlikely place, so I drew them in my sketchbook.

8 Responses to “Sad Day, Happy Flowers”

1. Hansi August 1, 2012 at 14:19 #

Sorry to hear of your loss. I’m with ya on the contempt thing, in fact, one of our millionaires was over your way and made a complete ass (arse) of himself.

2. Alli Farkas July 31, 2012 at 21:34 #

It won’t make you feel any better, but those same multi-millionaires (we call them the 1% here) are also trying to dismantle what skimpy services we have in the USA too–any social welfare entity or system is under attack, never mind that we pretend to be a Christian nation which by its very definition should be caring about the well-being of each and every citizen, that 99% which is “the rest of us”. I just put a book on my summer reading list, entitled The Servant Economy–Where America’s Elite is Sending the Middle Class. Can’t imagine why I would want to depress myself in the middle of summer, but there you go! The book I’m reading before this one is Agent Garbo by Stephan Talty–and it’s a true-life tale of the oddest double agent in WWII who conned Hitler and saved D-Day for the Allies. Agent Garbo gets five stars from me!

• Rosie Scribblah July 31, 2012 at 21:41 #

It’s down to us now to save what they started. Time to grow up.

3. alicematilda July 31, 2012 at 20:36 #

Sad but beautiful. A dear friend of mine passed away not long ago and I know how it can hurt. Though I think here you show something beautiful and hopeful in that grief. That even the smallest sources of light are visible when it’s dark.

• Rosie Scribblah July 31, 2012 at 21:41 #

Thank you – it was lovely to spot those little flowers.

4. Magill July 31, 2012 at 20:05 #

Oh, Rosie. I am sorry for your loss. What a touching post you’ve written, and pansies do have little funny faces–I hope they made you feel a bit better.