Back And Raring To Go!

24 Sep

I’ve had five whole days away from the computer. The RSI problem came back with a vengeance and coupled with a nasty lurgi, I decided to take a bit of a break from t’Internet. I’ve still been busy in the studio though, developing some plans for a series of larger scale subtractive drawings. I stretched some sheets of Fabriano Accademica onto the studio wall and gave them two coats of acrylic gesso. I rubbed in compressed charcoal over the surface of two of the sheets and coated the third with graphite, smoothing it over with a rag dipped in turpentine. Then I transferred one of my life drawings to a smaller bit of charcoal-coated card to do a practice piece before committing myself to the larger paper. I like this technique very much; the resulting drawing is rather like a mezzotint.

This shows the stretched paper coated with compressed charcoal either side of the piece I covered with graphite, before it had been smoothed over with turpentine.

20 Responses to “Back And Raring To Go!”

1. thisislemonade September 26, 2012 at 14:08 #

Oooh I’ll be watching what you’re doing on that wall to pick up a few tips. Take it easy though, don’t go expanding the rsi onto the wall scribbling movements too!

• Rosie Scribblah September 26, 2012 at 20:35 #

Getting some practice in on a smaller piece. My arm is o when I’m doing art – it’s the computer that’s the problem 😦

2. jhv57 September 26, 2012 at 13:49 #

Looks great–interesting technique.

3. Hansi September 25, 2012 at 15:42 #

Computer breaks are a good thing. sometimes I find myself sitting in front of the computer more than sitting down with the old sketch book. Should be the other way around.

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:48 #

Yes too right. I don’t get RSI with my artwork [touch wood!] – it’s the computer that’s the problem. Can’t wait to see your new kitchen.

4. paperstew September 25, 2012 at 15:24 #

So it looks like you’re using tape to stretch your paper? Or do you staple it down first? Just curious. Looking forward to the finished product and the other parts in between!

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:47 #

Thanks. I use paper gum strip to stick it to the wall. It’s a Fabriano Accademica 240gsm which is light enough not to need staples.

5. Nancy Farmer September 25, 2012 at 15:19 #

Will you have to work on a dead-vertical surface like that now they’re on the wall? Doesn’t sound good for the old RSI! Like what I can see of your sketch, though. Go easy on yourself 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:46 #

Thanks. It’ll be a challenge to work like that but it’s on such a large scale that I’m hoping to use my left hand as well. Also, I’m intending to leave a lot of it black so that should cut down on the work 🙂

6. therealbitzymum September 25, 2012 at 08:05 #

Glad you are feeling better, missed you.

p.s, nice kettle!

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:44 #

Thanks. I’ve missed blogging too. RSI is getting to be quite a nuisance.

7. notes to the milkman September 25, 2012 at 00:27 #

Who had the lurgi? You or the computer? I’ve heard of computer viruses but didn’t know they could be passed on to people!

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:44 #

haha – it was me! I also had RSI so I took a break from the computer. Lots of chest infections in this part of the world at the moment.

8. ziggyshortcrust September 25, 2012 at 00:00 #

Yes, glad you’re back.

9. Helen Cherry September 24, 2012 at 23:40 #

RSI.. ouch !

glad you’re back !

• Rosie Scribblah September 25, 2012 at 20:49 #

Thanks. This RSI keeps coming back within a few days of starting back on the computer 😦

10. sherylmcdougald September 24, 2012 at 23:22 #

That looks like fuuuuuun!