Stacks And Giants

1 Dec

basalt

We spent a while on a wonderful beach of black sand covered with shiny dark, coin-shaped pebbles, fringed with towering silvery basalt columns, like the ones at the Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland. I couldn’t resist scribbling and despite the snow, sketched some of the basalt with one of the Reynisdrangur sea stacks in the background. Husb snapped me from above. It was freezing. I managed about 3 minutes with my gloves off.

basalt stack

This is drawn into a Khadi hand-made paper sketchpad, 20cms square, previously prepared with a sepia wash sponged on randomly. It is drawn with a Faber Castell Pitt drawing pen, size S, and graphite block. By the way, my luggage was searched at Heathrow and my bag caused a stir because the chemical sniffing machine detected graphite and that’s one of their banned substance. They made a bit of a fuss until I told them that I’m an artist and carry blocks of graphite for drawing. They could’ve asked…….

stack cave

Husb photographed the sea stacks from a large cave eroded into the basalt cliffs.

13 Responses to “Stacks And Giants”

1. allesistgut December 3, 2012 at 10:07 #

Great stuff. Unfortunately I missed the beach at Reynisdrangar.

2. Hansi December 2, 2012 at 15:46 #

Wow…that must have been a great trip.

3. Terri at Time To Be Inspired December 2, 2012 at 06:18 #

Oh good – something else that security is checking. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for airline safety, but some of the regulations see rather odd! Great sketches, Rosie.

• Rosie Scribblah December 2, 2012 at 22:17 #

Thanks Terri. They wave a stick with a cotton swab around the inside of the hand luggage and apparently graphite is on the list of banned substances. It’s in pencils!

4. SiverBlack December 2, 2012 at 01:44 #

What a fascinating place. I dig the drawing and the way you use the toned paper.

• Rosie Scribblah December 2, 2012 at 22:19 #

Thank you. I didn’t know what to expect so I prepared lots of different papers so I had plenty of choice. The freezing cold was a problem though……

5. Helen Cherry December 1, 2012 at 23:00 #

Oooo I love Iceland !! I was there in September last year.. This looks very like Vik beach but I guess they are mostly alike around the south coast…

6. Russell. December 1, 2012 at 21:16 #

Great sketch Rosie. Good job you weren’t too close to the sea, tourists have been swept away here, never to be seen again!

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2012 at 21:38 #

Olafur The Guide gave us dire warnings about it! The sea was ferocious.