Bones And Brown Paper

23 Apr

SONY DSC

I like studying anatomy. I love the interface between art and science. Sometimes I get access to a skeleton and scribble happily for hours.

SONY DSC

These drawings are on very large sheets of brown wrapping paper, using black, white and sanguine conte crayons. Working on this scale gave me the chance to focus on mark-making rather than doing a scientific illustration.

10 Responses to “Bones And Brown Paper”

1. lydiapaints April 24, 2013 at 15:26 #

I really like these, I love looking at the anatomy too 🙂 Have you seen the work of Gunther von Hagens? (he takes donated bodies and ‘plastinates’ them, revealing & preserving all of the anatomy beneath the skin) If you haven’t then you definitely should if you’re interested in the ideas of art vs. science.. as long as you’re not squeamish haha! I did a post on my blog a couple of months ago with links to some of his work 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2013 at 08:50 #

Thanks Lydia. I love von Hagens’ work. Extraordinary stuff.

2. paperstew April 24, 2013 at 14:47 #

Looking at these brings back good (and bad) memories from art school. I think I would have preferred to do skeletal drawings on the brown paper, much warmer than cold sterile white paper! 🙂

3. Hansi April 24, 2013 at 13:51 #

Very nice…I’m a fool for brown paper and white pencils.

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2013 at 08:52 #

It’s great stuff. I scribble over it and pack presents in it – not the anatomical stuff though, it might upset people.

4. Tin Roof Press April 24, 2013 at 10:07 #

very nice, the brown paper makes it particularly butchery

5. allesistgut April 24, 2013 at 07:53 #

Whoo, this looks interesting. The brown paper is a really good choice for this. Have a beautiful day! 🙂

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: