A New Model

23 May

23 karen 1

I like drawing a new model because I haven’t had a chance to lapse into visual shorthand so I take more risks. So this evening, in the life drawing session at Swansea Print Workshop, I got out my dip pen and white ink, a piece of thick Bockingford prepared with a black ink wash and scribbled away. The pen did NOT like the white ink, which is much claggier than black ink and kept blotting. So I watered it down a bit and then it was too translucent, so I had to keep going over the lines. Never mind, I enjoyed drawing the pose a few times over half an hour, but switched to black ink onto a creamy Somerset for the one-hour pose. The dip pen liked it much more.

23 karen 2

12 Responses to “A New Model”

1. anna warren portfolio May 25, 2013 at 06:09 #

The white ink may have been a pain, but you got some great drawings out of it – sometimes battling with materials can lead to something interesting!

2. Hansi May 24, 2013 at 14:14 #

Way cool. Looks like the new model is an older woman who has a few pounds (not the English money) on her. I love fat women when it comes to life drawing. Unfortunately, they only on I have around the house is The Wife. 🙂

3. martinsdoodles May 24, 2013 at 12:35 #

Nice drawings, really like the white ink

4. Nicholas Herbert May 24, 2013 at 12:27 #

I do love the second drawing, it has a real lucidity.

5. notes to the milkman May 23, 2013 at 23:28 #

One must always keep one’s pens happy!

6. Red Hen May 23, 2013 at 23:02 #

I realise, when looking at your drawing, how much we are visually haunted by spectres of feminine perfection in the form of magazine photos and all kinds of commercial endorsements which favour the tiny minority of very thin women. I can see me in your picture. It`s a great relief. I am not alone!

• Rosie Scribblah May 24, 2013 at 10:50 #

I prefer to work with older models, there’s so much character in their faces and bodies