The Awesome Henge

18 Jun

18 Henge

Driving back from Brighton at the weekend in the sunshine, we travelled cross-country to avoid the hell of the motorway and to appreciate our glorious countryside. We took the A303 past Stonehenge and stopped to do a drawing and some photos. Husb had been before but it was my first visit and it is truly awesome. I’m not using that word frivolously. I was overcome with awe. How on earth did our ancient ancestors move those huge bluestones from the Preseli Mountains in Pembrokeshire in West Wales to the middle of England?

Here’s a bit of trivia. There’s a small parish in Pembrokeshire called Saint Elvis and the anglicised version of Preseli is Presley.

Drawn into my A5 pink silk recycled sari sketchbook – I’ve nearly finished it – using a Faber Castell Pitt drawing pen, size F in sepia.

15 Responses to “The Awesome Henge”

1. allesistgut June 19, 2013 at 07:59 #

Very cool sketch of this magical place. It’s still on my to-do-list. I really would like to go to Great Britain, but I’m really scared of the left-hand-traffic. 😉 Have a nice day.

• Rosie Scribblah June 19, 2013 at 10:26 #

Thanks. Get someone to drive you round 😀

• allesistgut June 19, 2013 at 10:39 #

😀 Yes. Good idea. I should hire a chauffeur!

• Rosie Scribblah June 19, 2013 at 10:56 #

And a limo – it’s the only way to travel 😀

2. Red Hen June 19, 2013 at 07:26 #

There was an exhibition of artist`s notebooks doing the rounds here in Ireland last year. Your sketchbook reminds me of that. And what a lovely way to recycle a silk sari. Lovely drawing. Neolithic tombs are fascinating.

• Rosie Scribblah June 19, 2013 at 10:27 #

That exhibition sounds interesting, don’t often get to see sketchbooks in shows. I love ancient places.

3. notes to the milkman June 19, 2013 at 00:11 #

All day I’ve kept thinking Nigella’s Revenge and started laughing! Which has got nothing to do with Stonehenge. I thought I’d just let you know! Nigella’s Revenge!!

4. Helen Cherry June 18, 2013 at 23:26 #

I lived not too far away from Stonehenge and was lucky enough to visit in my late teens/early twenties Rosie.. in the days when you could walk up to the stones !!

• Rosie Scribblah June 19, 2013 at 10:31 #

How lovely. Husb went in his teens and clambered on the stones too. Bit of an overreaction by the government I think.

• Helen Cherry June 21, 2013 at 23:58 #

Yes maybe so.. but I think there had been a lot of trouble with people writing on the stones and trying to carve their names etc.. that was the problem..

• Rosie Scribblah June 22, 2013 at 12:00 #

That’s a shame, but I guess it had always been done – maybe that’s just part of the passage of time…..

5. paperstew June 18, 2013 at 22:09 #

Love it! When we get you state side again, I’ll take you to the Stonehenge along the Columbia River. It’s over on the Washington side. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah June 18, 2013 at 22:19 #

wow that sounds amazing 🙂

• paperstew June 18, 2013 at 22:34 #

i had wanted to do a posting about it last fall when I visited, but it never made it online. maybe soon… it’s situated next to a nice art museum.