Blackberry Vinegar

7 Oct

1381086737144

Feeling a bit under the weather today so I had a cup of hot blackberry vinegar this evening. Husb and I managed to get a final pick late in September and put the fruit into large jars, packing it down lightly,and covered the fruit with white wine vinegar. After a few days,we strained the fruit through a jelly bag and for each pint of liquid,added a pound of sugar. The whole lot was brought to the boil then immediately poured into warmed clean glass bottles for storage. At the first sign of a cold,put a couple of teaspoonfuls into a cup and top up with hot water. It’s an old cold remedy and very soothing.

Here’s a digital drawing I did when I was out and about earlier,of a couple of street people.

14 Responses to “Blackberry Vinegar”

1. Tin Roof Press October 8, 2013 at 10:34 #

the drink sounds interesting. post a photo

• Rosie Scribblah October 8, 2013 at 10:34 #

Ooh that’s a good idea. I’ll post a photo with today’s blog 🙂

• Tin Roof Press October 8, 2013 at 11:10 #

maybe this is a birth of a pinterest trend 🙂

2. I must remember the recipe, it probably tastes better than it sounds. Like the drawing too.

• Rosie Scribblah October 8, 2013 at 10:34 #

It tastes really good, very rich and soothing. It’s not very vinegary, it tastes like blackberry with a dash of lemon 🙂

3. Alli Farkas October 8, 2013 at 00:34 #

What Helen said! Looks like the digital drawing system is getting under control!

• Rosie Scribblah October 8, 2013 at 10:39 #

mmmm had some last night. Eased my tickly cough. I’m getting used to the app now. I want to get it up to a decent standard because sometimes it’s a hassle to get out a sketchbook and pens and also it’s easier to blog straight from a digital drawing. Shan’t be giving up my paper and pens though 🙂

4. Lois October 8, 2013 at 00:07 #

I’ve never heard of this before… sounds wonderful… there are still a few blackberries out there and I know there is some superstition connected to the devil with October blackberries but maybe I ought to go out and get some to try this!

• Rosie Scribblah October 8, 2013 at 10:37 #

That’s right, the devil is supposed to spit on them after the 1st of October lol. The late blackberries are much more seedy than the earlier ones but it shouldn’t matter as you put the fruit in the compost when it’s finished infusing.

• Lois October 8, 2013 at 13:37 #

The early ones were very seedy this year too!

5. Helen Cherry October 7, 2013 at 23:19 #

Love the picture but not at all sure about the drink!

• Rosie Scribblah October 8, 2013 at 10:36 #

The drink is lovely but it’s for those wet miserable evenings when you’re feeling a bit under the weather and you want something comforting and soothing. It’s a very old recipe.