The Artist’s Feet

14 Dec

14 feet

Not mine this time. I often scribble my feet when I’ve reached the end of the day and I haven’t done a daily drawing, but today I drew the feet of my chum and fellow artist, Melanie Ezra. Poor Mel tripped earlier in the week and fractured her foot. Today, she kindly offered me her feet to draw. The unfractured one is very slim and pale pinky-white but the broken one is swollen, misshapen and livid colours. It’s far more interesting to draw someone else’s feet.

I used a piece of Bockinford 250gsm paper, pre-coloured with yellow System 3 acrylic paint mixed with a little acrylic medium. I drew with black conte crayon and Winsor & Newton oilbars in white, cobalt blue, crimson and hookers green rubbed with a rag dipped in linseed oil.

12 Responses to “The Artist’s Feet”

1. I wish I could do feet as well as that. I start a four week life class in January so maybe I will get better.

• Rosie Scribblah December 17, 2013 at 18:45 #

It’s practice. I use Burne Hogarth’s anatomy books for practice. Good luck with the life class 🙂

2. Jess December 17, 2013 at 15:30 #

Love it! The bright yellow background is really fun and a good contrast to the pale feet. Hope her foot feels better though.

3. lizardpudding December 15, 2013 at 08:27 #

Nifty!

4. paperstew December 15, 2013 at 02:08 #

Poor Melanie! I’m glad she’s negotiating crutches and getting about. What a major bummer! Great green coloration. I bet it’s pretty close to how it looks.

5. Millie Ho December 14, 2013 at 22:44 #

Love the way you piece together colour.

Was the green intentional?

• Rosie Scribblah December 15, 2013 at 16:33 #

Yes, that’s the colour of her bruising, poor thing

6. notes to the milkman December 14, 2013 at 22:44 #

What is Melanie doing about a broken foot? Shouldn’t it be strapped up at least if not in a pot?

• Rosie Scribblah December 15, 2013 at 16:33 #

She has a removable fancy cast thing, not like the old days 🙂