Hares And Colombians

3 Mar

hare 1hare 2

I’ve been doing a lot of drawings from British wildlife photos and I’ve started to cut little lino blocks from them. I’ll be taking these to Swansea Print Workshop soon to ink them up and print them on the old Columbian Press, one of my favourite pieces of machinery. I’ll probably use an oil-based relief/litho ink in black onto a white Japanese paper and limit the editions to 30 or 40 each.

hare 3

Here’s a Colombian, isn’t it lush? The one at the print workshop dates from 1855. I love antique machinery and tools.

Colombian Press

8 Responses to “Hares And Colombians”

1. paperstew March 4, 2014 at 17:15 #

Envious! 🙂
    I’m jealous of how much fun you’re having with the press. Your wrists must be happy too (for not having to hand rub them all). Will this be the image for Leftovers? Just curious.

• Rosie Scribblah March 4, 2014 at 18:15 #

I never seem to get a good result with hand rubbing even though I have a good baren. I’m not sure which I’ll use for Leftovers yet but probably one of these. I’m entering a block printing phase at the moment 🙂

2. notes to the milkman March 3, 2014 at 23:45 #

How about a linocut of the Columbian eagle?

• Rosie Scribblah March 4, 2014 at 08:43 #

Hmmmm there’s an idea. I did a drawing of the Colombian once, blogged it sometime ago

3. Judith Hladik-Voss March 3, 2014 at 13:28 #

Ooh!! Love the hares- press looks swell. Have fun!

• Rosie Scribblah March 3, 2014 at 14:46 #

Thanks. I’m really looking forward to printing them up 🙂

4. allesistgut March 3, 2014 at 12:30 #

It must be fun to work on those old machines. And I’m excited to see the print, soon. 😉