Beery, Beardy And Flatulent

1 Jan

beardy 1

Husb and I spent New Year’s Eve dancing the night away at a local nightclub to a groovy Funk disco and a fab Funk band called Disco Panther. Great time but I’m aching all over now. I don’t normally drink alcohol but tried a small bottle of a pale foreign beer with a vaguely South American name. Back in the day, I used to quaff large quantities of real ale, dark bitter stuff that you chewed your way through with names like Old Peculiar’s Rat Entrails and Rancid Tom’s Heavy. Thick, tasty stuff you drank from solid glass tankards. This ‘beer’ I had last night was pale, tasteless and served up in a plastic ‘glass’ with a wedge of lime. A Wedge Of Lime! OUTRAGEOUS!!!! After one ‘glass’ I went onto the fizzy water – it tasted better.

beardy 2

I did some scribbling in the crowd. I was struck by the amount of younger men sporting beards. Nearly everyone under about 35 had facial hair of some sort, even if it was only a tufty bit under the lower lip. And topknots as well. The public smoking ban has been around a few years, but although it’s great not to be breathing in vast amounts of second hand smoke, there’s nothing now to mask the smell of flatulence and in a jam-packed nightclub rocking with hot, sweaty dancers who’ve been knocking back the booze, the flatulence was pretty overpowering. But we still had a great time. Happy New Year everyone 🙂

6 Responses to “Beery, Beardy And Flatulent”

1. kestrelart January 3, 2015 at 01:06 #

Sounds a great evening but somehow i thought beards, funky folk music and real ale went together. Whats gone wrong? Anyway, i think you’ve missed the piint of the lime. That’s the only thing that makes thin lager vaguely drinkable. I love the drawings. My son is trying to persuade me to abandon Labour and join the Greens with him. I was wondering whether i can sit at the back and draw at political meetings.

• Rosie Scribblah January 3, 2015 at 07:35 #

Oh yes, do draw them. You’re right about the lime. Wasn’t folk music though. Oh god no! 😉

• kestrelart January 3, 2015 at 09:48 #

Sorry about the folk music accusation:-). I went to comment on your post and mid sentence got misled by the beards. To be fair though, the beer might have been better.

• Rosie Scribblah January 3, 2015 at 13:32 #

hahaha no problem, it’s just that folk music is a pet hate of mine 😀 Beardies seem to be everywhere these days.

2. paperstew January 2, 2015 at 01:20 #

I’m so glad you get out and shake your body on New Years Eve! Too bad the location was a bit whiffy. :/
    I currently live with one of those Beardy guys, but he’s in his 40’s and not one of those hipsters. Eventually he will shave the mess off, but I have no idea when. Maybe in March for our 20th anniversary. I don’t think beards and snorkeling mix well.
    Happy 2015! Keep those daily drawings going!!

• Rosie Scribblah January 2, 2015 at 06:49 #

Husb grew a beard once. It was bright ginger. Never had one since. The smelliness is an unanticipated outcome of the public smoking ban, but it’s better than passive smoking. I can remember when smoking wasaallowed on trains and planes. Seems barbaric now. I love your drawing of Dave