Finished One, Started Another

10 May

Starry Night

I spent another couple of hours finishing my copy of van Gogh’s Starry Night today, that’s about 5 and a half hours in all. I don’t know how long it took Vincent. I learnt an awful lot from doing it, about handling paint and also about Vincent’s technique. The work is much richer and more multi-layered than I had thought. Looking at the comments posted on the Cheese and Wine Painting Club, which hosted the original session, a lot of the participants thought it was the hardest one yet. The composition is quite simple, but the application of the paint is very complex.

I’m inspired now to do a painting of my own. Not something I normally do but I’m really enjoying this lockdown detour. Here’s the beginning. Can you see what it is yet? πŸ˜€

Sparta Starter

The next family-friendly session of the Cheese and Wine Painting Club is Friday May 15th at midday and the painting will be Picasso’s Girl With Red Beret. It’s free for those who need it to be with donations from those who can afford to chip in a bit.

9 Responses to “Finished One, Started Another”

1. Roxanna Rendon Agin May 18, 2020 at 23:30 #

Van Goh’s paintings are tough to replicate but fun to do!

2. Phil Cooper May 11, 2020 at 16:04 #

Looks wonderful Rosie, the paint surface is so full of movement, and the colour is also very alive, its terrific!

• Rosie Scribblah May 18, 2020 at 11:11 #

Thanks Phil, but the credit must go to Vincent πŸ˜€ I’m learning so much about handling paint – I rarely paint so it’s good for me to do something new during lockdown.

• Phil Cooper May 18, 2020 at 11:30 #

I agree Rosie, I’m doing things I’d never have tried if it wasn’t for this lockdown strangeness and I’m really enjoying it. Your Picasso was awesome too, I love the colour πŸ˜€

• Rosie Scribblah May 18, 2020 at 11:34 #

And your wonderful work with the Kick About – a great outpouring of creativity across the world I hope πŸ™‚

• Phil Cooper May 18, 2020 at 12:53 #

Thanks Rosie, send something in if you’re not enough challenges already πŸ˜€

3. louiseaprimeau May 11, 2020 at 14:44 #

Oh the anticipation! I love this series of yours. Happy to know there will be more! πŸ˜πŸŒΊπŸŒΉπŸ’πŸ‘

• Rosie Scribblah May 18, 2020 at 11:11 #

If you want to join in, the Cheese and Wine Painting Club is on facebook and the sessions are every Friday, led by the artist Ed Sumner πŸ™‚