Doldrums

14 Jun

14 doldrums

I did a lot of artwork when I was in the USA last month but since I’ve been back I’ve really been in the doldrums. I’ve had the artist equivalent of writer’s block and the past few days in particular have been very frustrating. I realised today that I just have to get off my backside when I’m in that mood and scribble – it doesn’t matter what, it doesn’t matter if it’s good, bad or indifferent – just get stuck in and get my hands dirty. I felt a lot better afterwards, like taking exercise. It’s easy to forget that art is a very physical process as well as a cerebral one and it’s easy to spend too much time thinking, reading and researching.

I almost always work from life, so it was a bit odd to do these drawings from ‘my head’ but maybe I should do more; other artists work from within so perhaps I should give it a go. I scribbled on some huge pieces of paper that I found jammed into a bin down the print workshop a while back. Someone had over-soaked them and they were falling apart so I rescued them, stuck them onto a huge board and sized and coloured them with rabbit skin glue and yellow ochre acrylic paint. Today I scribbled on them with compressed charcoal, carbon and chalk. It doesn’t matter if I look at them tomorrow and don’t like them; I can just rub it all down and start again.

17 Responses to “Doldrums”

1. Steve Beadle June 20, 2013 at 23:11 #

Keep scribbling Scribblah! Those doldrums don’t last long! šŸ˜‰

2. Jo Dunn June 17, 2013 at 22:59 #

i like the drawings and the process the paper has been through – well done for perservering šŸ˜‰

• Rosie Scribblah June 17, 2013 at 23:02 #

• Jo Dunn June 17, 2013 at 23:03 #

well, you must be good – how else dyu get 1300 followers? B-)

• Rosie Scribblah June 18, 2013 at 08:21 #

Crikey – I hadn’t looked at the figures for ages. Wow, I’m blushing lol

3. Hansi June 15, 2013 at 14:40 #

The Doldrums would be a great name for a housing project for artists. I know I’d want a room there to go to sometimes.
    Hey! You were on a roll when in the States last month, a real artistic high, so it’s only normal that a low might follow. But I’d sure encourage you to draw from within for a while. Let all that anatomy you draw so well just rip into whatever arises, be it distortion, exaggeration or whatever. You’ll be surprise at what you turn out. But then again, I have a drawing from within bias. Not so different than drawing from life. All ya have to do is close your eyes and then you’ll see all kinds of strange shit šŸ™‚

• Rosie Scribblah June 15, 2013 at 20:33 #

Thanks – I do indeed see all kinds of strange things when I close my eyes, but I’m not sure I should unleash them on the world LOL šŸ˜€

• Hansi June 16, 2013 at 14:49 #

Why don’t you let us be the judge of that šŸ™‚

• Rosie Scribblah June 17, 2013 at 10:03 #

hhmmm…tempting lol

4. Helen Cherry June 14, 2013 at 23:02 #

I know that feeling as I have photographers block.. I still want to take them but I have sooooo many to edit it’s unreal. and I know I need to sort out the really good keepers and start working on selling or exhibiting or both!

• Rosie Scribblah June 14, 2013 at 23:27 #

It’s soooo frustrating isn’t it?

• Helen Cherry June 14, 2013 at 23:39 #

It is but I am also aware I need to spend more time doing other things!

5. Sketchy on the Detail June 14, 2013 at 22:25 #

I had exactly the same feeling after nine days of art in St Ives. I was so productive there but back in London I just don’t have the same drive…we just have to push through it to get back into the arty groove.

• Rosie Scribblah June 14, 2013 at 23:28 #

I’m having a couple of days away, see if that sorts me out šŸ™‚

6. David Reid June 14, 2013 at 20:39 #

I sympathise Rosie, each day that passes without making a mark, the frustration builds. Like Dexter makes a kill to satisfy his dark passenger, we must make work to keep ours at bay! šŸ˜‰