The Acme Gizmo

1 Aug

Frida 2 small

Today I went on a short course to Swansea Hackspace to learn how to turn a drawing into a rubber stamp. It’s something I’ve been wanting to try out for ages. I learned loads and got the chance to use some very advanced technology (well it seemed so to me). We started by learning how to vectorise an image in a programme new to me, Inkscape, and then, when the image was ready, transferred it to a laptop connected to the Acme Laser Cutting Gizmo (probably not its real name). This cut the image into a shiny blue acrylic sheet to form a solid backing for the rubber; this way the image is also on the back. I used a photograph I had made of a silkscreen print I did recently of Frida Kahlo. The photo above shows Frida cut into the acrylic; it’s very reflective.

Frida 1 small

Then the acrylic was taken out and a special rubber sheet put in and the stamp was cut. It’s very exciting, with sparks. I like the continuity it gives to my work, from drawing to screenprint to stamp. I’ll be experimenting with it, using different types of paper and inks and there might even be some scope in taking a block print off the acrylic image. The machine can also cut wood, so woodblocks are a possibility in future.

20150801_135103

The Acme Laser Cutting Gizmo

14 Responses to “The Acme Gizmo”

1. Sergio December 9, 2015 at 05:53 #

obviously like your website however you have to check the spelling on quite a
    few of your posts.A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I will definitely come again again.

• Rosie Scribblah December 9, 2015 at 06:20 #

Thank you for looking at my blog. I am concerned that you have found my site to be rife with spelling issues. I wonder if you would be so kind as to direct me to them as I am unaware of their existence. Thank you.

2. Tim Mitchell August 2, 2015 at 22:30 #

That looks really good. (Having had much commercial experience if chemical solvent versions – nyloprint etc – I have to ask…. What’s the biggest size you can do??)

• Rosie Scribblah August 2, 2015 at 22:34 #

According to the tecchie chaps in attendance, it can go up to A4 🙂

• Tim Mitchell August 2, 2015 at 22:46 #

That’s big enough for Hokusai that’s big enough for anyone.

• Rosie Scribblah August 2, 2015 at 22:58 #

Hahahaha yes. Wouldn’t like to do the process without the tecchie chaps though 😀

3. mrsdaffodil August 2, 2015 at 06:25 #

Wow! I’m green with envy.

4. Alli Farkas August 2, 2015 at 04:17 #

This sounds really neat. Would love to try it myself sometime. Sounds not nearly as time-consuming as actually making a plate to print something, and it looks great.

• Rosie Scribblah August 2, 2015 at 05:53 #

It lends itself to building up new images with multiple stampings. Very popular amongst printmakers in Pakistan.

5. jhv57 August 1, 2015 at 22:27 #

Really fun

• Rosie Scribblah August 2, 2015 at 05:52 #

It was. I can’t wait to try it but don’t have time for a couple of days 😊

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Breaking Out Of The Frame | scribblah - March 15, 2016

[…] while back, I had a small rubber stamp  made up from a silkscreen print I did based on the fabulous Frida Kahlo, an artist I admire very […]

2. Get Over Yourself | scribblah - December 3, 2015

[…] recently had a rubber stamp made from a screen print I did a few months back (here) and tried it out today for the first time on some leftover pieces of lovely Shiohara paper. It […]