Abusing Watercolour!

24 Nov

Ink and watercolour life drawing.

I once met some watercolour artists. I showed them the life drawings I did in ink and watercolour. They were aghast! Apparently I broke all the rules! Oh Well. There we are then 😉

Faber Castell Pitt pen and Windsor and Newton half pan watercolours into an A3 Cotman watercolour pad.

12 Responses to “Abusing Watercolour!”

1. Alli Farkas December 6, 2011 at 21:50 #

Had to laugh at this one, it reminded me of an instructor I once had who actually had us painting with brewed coffee. Nope, there are no rules unless you’re concerned with archival preservation, which most of us are not. I also broke the rules but the opposite way from you–I used gouache as thin watercolor! There’s something for everybody…

• Rosie Scribblah December 6, 2011 at 22:32 #

Great stuff – I had an instructor who made me draw with a small branch of a tree! It worked out very well 🙂

2. Kayleigh Robinson November 26, 2011 at 17:58 #

I always say if you like the end result then you’re doing it right. Nice image 🙂

3. Hansi November 25, 2011 at 18:39 #

Water colorists can be uppity snobs 🙂 But you showed them. Nice work.

• Rosie Scribblah November 25, 2011 at 19:59 #

hahahah Hansi. They were a bit put out. Apparently I use watercolours as if they’re gouache. And apparently that’s not the done thing. hehehe

4. thepetalpusher November 25, 2011 at 17:19 #

Rules are there to be broken–this is a fantastic nude.

• Rosie Scribblah November 25, 2011 at 20:04 #

Thank you – I didn’t even know I was breaking any rules but I was well chuffed when I found out lol

5. artboy68 November 24, 2011 at 23:51 #

rules schmools I always say… looks great!

6. Another Elephant's Child November 24, 2011 at 19:56 #

I don’t get it – what did you do wrong?
    That looks great to me 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah November 24, 2011 at 23:36 #

hahaha thanks. I think it was a bit too bold and modern for them – they were very traditional and their watercolours were delicate and subtle, two attributes I definitely DON’T have. 🙂