Sitting Scribbling Spying

23 Jan

Ink sketches.

I shared a few thoughts about the artist as voyeur a couple of blogs back and looking through my sketchbooks, I realise that I spend a lot of time spying on people and drawing them. One of my favourite places is a first floor cafe in Waterstone;s bookshop which has a large window overlooking the street and a seating area opposite. I try and find time to get there, not as often as I’d like, to sit, spy and sketch. What is it about we artists? Are we professional curtain twitchers? 🙂

6 Responses to “Sitting Scribbling Spying”

1. paperstew January 24, 2012 at 19:02 #

I still remember sketching a trio of guys taking a siesta in Oaxaca Mexico. They caught me watching them, came over and got a kick out of my sketches. Language barriers were bridged thru art. I wish more artists would feel comfortable working in a public venue. Keep on watching and sketching! 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah January 24, 2012 at 21:38 #

Great story 🙂 I think artists should be more public – people really seem to appreciate seeing sketchbooks. So far I’ve always had a friendly and interested response from people.

2. Alli Farkas January 24, 2012 at 01:08 #

My argument, if you can call it that, is that I don’t want to make my subjects uncomfortable by letting them know that someone is staring at them intently and putting their image down on paper.

• Rosie Scribblah January 24, 2012 at 11:19 #

that’s very true. When people spot me, they pull in their stomachs, stick out their chins etc. Never had anyone object though.

3. Roberta January 23, 2012 at 23:34 #

I think I would do the same if I was an artist. I like to observe people too!

• Rosie Scribblah January 24, 2012 at 11:20 #

Sometimes I feel a bit guilty, but it’s too good an opportunity to miss.