Dystopian Man

23 May

I haven’t done much sketchbook work for a couple of weeks because I’m working flat out on a painting – sort of. I’m not a painter but I’m entering an international painting competition and I decided I’d push the definition of painting a bit and approach it as a scribbler and printmaker. The theme, broadly, is Utopia or Dystopia and of course I’ve e gone for the dystopian viewpoint. I’m very close to finishing but it’s taking all my time and energy, no time for sketching or printmaking until the deadline, which is this Friday.

It’s on quite a large scale, about four times the largest I normally use and I’m working onto primed heavyweight cardboard with litho/relief inks [oil-based] applied with squeegee, roller and pallette knife and using oil bars for the detail. So it’s sort of paint. But I don’t use a brush – ever. It also involves a lot of rubbing off with rags and scraping with all sorts of implements. I’m having a good time. This is a detail. The finished piece has three figures – male, female and child. This was the man as of last night. I’ve done a lot more work on him but I forgot to take my camera in today. It’s a pretty grim image but that’s okay because I wanted to see how far I could portray a concept, a state of being, using just human figures with little else to contextualise them. It might fail miserably but I’ll know by Friday.

BTW I’m using cardboard because Toulouse-Lautrec used it and if it’s good enough for him ……….

8 Responses to “Dystopian Man”

1. artboy68 May 26, 2012 at 16:48 #

OMG I am in love with this! Can’t wait to see the whole image- PLEASE share!!

• Rosie Scribblah May 26, 2012 at 17:15 #

Thank you – it’s nearly finished but it’s really grim and horrible, totally dystopian 🙂

2. Hansi May 24, 2012 at 15:21 #

Very nice…staying true to the figure, yet capturing an expressionist feel.
    Hope ya win
    Hansi

3. Helen Cherry May 23, 2012 at 22:56 #

Ohh excited to get a glimpse of this… I love the way you describe the process.. sort of industrial.. rubbing with rags and scrapping with implements 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah May 23, 2012 at 23:07 #

Thanks – I’m not a painter so I just do what I like and it seems to be working so far

4. jhobson1987 May 23, 2012 at 21:40 #

Lovely, feels very expressionist 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah May 23, 2012 at 21:44 #

ooh thanks. That’s what I was aiming for. He’s even more grim after today’s efforts.