Blocks And Cuts

12 Sep

I’ve been working on a set of nine block prints for some time now, picking them up and down when I’ve got time. I’ve proof printed the first three of the series, that I’ve called Voyeur and I spent this week cutting the remaining 6 blocks. Here they are, with my ‘swag’ Convers. I’ll proof print them tomorrow to see if I need to do any more cutting. I love block printing. Cutting the blocks is like drawing with knives – I think of it as a form of drawing. I’ve cut the images into 18cm square pieces of signwriter’s foamboard. I think it’s a PVC and it’s known commercially in Britain as Foamex. It’s easy to incise but quite hard to cut, so I design with this in mind, using fairly small areas of white, as these have to be cut out and I have to keep sharpening my tools every two or three cuts. Can’t wait to proof them – I’ll be covered in printer’s ink tomorrow šŸ™‚

10 Responses to “Blocks And Cuts”

1. Magill September 13, 2012 at 14:22 #

Cool! Are they images of people walking around, as seen from above?

• Rosie Scribblah September 13, 2012 at 23:50 #

Yes, from my second floor studio. The suspect nothing MWAHAHAAH

• Magill September 14, 2012 at 18:43 #

hahaha…nefarious print maker at large!

• Rosie Scribblah September 14, 2012 at 23:08 #

hehehe

2. Tin Roof Press September 12, 2012 at 22:37 #

Cant wait to see that. I don’t know how you get them registered properly. Mine always seems to go all over the place

• Rosie Scribblah September 12, 2012 at 22:40 #

aw just got to take it slow and draw up your registration sheets properly in advance šŸ™‚

• Tin Roof Press September 12, 2012 at 22:42 #

Whats a registration sheet? (The silkscreen technician just made us stick some masking tape down. But thats never really worked well)

• Rosie Scribblah September 13, 2012 at 23:49 #

Basically the same thing only you do it with a sheet of paper that you can re-use šŸ™‚

• Tin Roof Press September 14, 2012 at 10:02 #

….oh…i dont think i get it. i’ll google it sometime. might try and do some silkscreens again (eventually)

• Rosie Scribblah September 14, 2012 at 23:08 #

It’s one of those things that’s easy when you know how šŸ™‚