Digital Male Nude

9 Nov

Ben portraitI took my Samsung Galaxy 8 Tablet to life drawing a couple of weeks ago, partly to keep practicing with it and partly because I was too lazy to get my paper and drawing materials together; it’s so easy to slip a tablet into your bag and away you go. I’m not enjoying it as much as ‘proper’ materials like paper and pens because it’s very uniform and varying the pressure on the stylus doesn’t make any difference to the line. Traditional materials are much more physical and the experience is more ‘real’ in some way. Well, that’s how I feel about it anyway. But I’m quite happy with the portrait and it actually looks like the model. Which is always a plus.

ben 1 resized

I’m not so happy with this detail of the body though. I tried colouring the background before laying down some linework and the result is a bit too messy for my liking. Never mind, I’ll persevere. I used a free Magic Marker app.

8 Responses to “Digital Male Nude”

1. martinsdoodles November 12, 2013 at 14:02 #

I’ve never taken my ipad to life drawing, might have to give it a go at some point. My local art shop has a brush that works as a stylus, which they reckon has pressure sensitivity, but as it’s Ā£45 I don’t think I’m going to try it any time soon.

• Rosie Scribblah November 12, 2013 at 15:07 #

It’s a lot to spend without knowing if it’s worth it

2. billgarnett2012 November 10, 2013 at 13:05 #

they’ll have to work out how to make an ipad smell like paper before you really feel comfortable šŸ˜‰

3. KnitNell November 10, 2013 at 10:29 #

I keep meaning to take the iPad to my Life drawing class but always wimp out at the last minute! And you are right when you say that drawing on a screen can feel less satisfying – that is why I love drawing lines with a pencil, it is the feel of the pressure of the ‘lead’ on paper and then the resulting line that is so enjoyable.

• Rosie Scribblah November 10, 2013 at 12:58 #

You’re so right. I love the scratchiness of my pens on the paper and the way the ink sometimes blots and runs, happy accidents that don’t seem possible with digital. It has its uses though, it’s very convenient šŸ™‚

4. notes to the milkman November 9, 2013 at 22:34 #

At last! Rosie admits using her electric gizmo “because I was too lazy to get my paper and drawing materials together”!