The Dancer In The Hairy Slippers

15 Dec

The dancer

Here’s a piece I finished earlier this month for the exhibition I’m currently in at The Brunswick in Swansea. It’s a combination of a solvent transfer print overlaid with a drawing that started life in one of my sketchbooks. I went to an avant garde theatrical piece by Marega Palser, who also does performance drawing, and sketched this when she sat out for a while as other dancers performed. She wore strange, oversized hairy slippers. The image in the background is a piece of graffiti on a very old factory building, part of Swansea’s Industrial Revolution past. The exhibition runs until next March.

14 Responses to “The Dancer In The Hairy Slippers”

1. Y. Prior December 21, 2013 at 03:18 #

I also love the way the slippers and hair align – and I like how the cooled hair – and stands flow off the page – while the softness of the figure contrasts nicely with the strong, geo metrics in the background – and lastly, enjoyed the colors too – that soft blue – and more pastel tones – and I had the chance to peek at handful of your pics – but this is certainly my favorite of them all. wish I could attend the exhibition.

2. lyra December 17, 2013 at 00:26 #

That’s adorable! I love how the socks complement her hair, while the lose top offers kind of an contrast to both. Lovely 🙂

3. jhv57 December 15, 2013 at 23:18 #

Reblogged this on JHladikVoss57's Blog and commented:
    Love this piece-I’m very into repurposing and combining prints/techniques these days. What a rich example!

4. jhv57 December 15, 2013 at 23:17 #

Really love this piece. The combination of media is right on!

• Rosie Scribblah December 16, 2013 at 21:53 #

Thanks, I’m going to explore it more in the new year

5. Rachel Marsh December 15, 2013 at 22:40 #

Great piece 🙂

6. kestrelart December 15, 2013 at 21:20 #

This is a lovely piece. What does performance drawing mean?

• Rosie Scribblah December 16, 2013 at 22:47 #

Drawing in public for a set time, often accompanied by a performance – music, poetry, drama, dance. Getting very popular here.

7. Palmira G.Q. December 15, 2013 at 21:13 #

Lovely combination! Beautiful piece!