Long Hard Day

18 May

DSC07693

Just back from the city of Bath where I helped install the Commensalis group exhibition for the Fringe Arts Bath festival. We have a group show at The Octagon from May 23rd to June the 8th. It’s one of the biggest fine arts festivals in Britain. I’ve done a drawing installation based on my research into ‘Degenerate’ artists, persecuted by the Nazis in the early 20th century. I’ve made a start portraying contemporary artists I know who would have been designated as degenerate under the Nazis. In the background is a large drawing in graphite, carbon and charcoal based on drawings I did of the Berlin Holocaust Memorial in the snow.

DSC07695

Here’s another angle, with fellow artist, sculptor Jonathan Green sitting just outside the gallery, having a rest after spending 6 hours putting up his installation.

More to come tomorrow 🙂

10 Responses to “Long Hard Day”

1. Angie Thompson May 22, 2014 at 09:04 #

Really great to see all the pieces assembled in the gallery. The free hanging figures are a brilliant idea. If I lived anywhere near
    Bath I would drop in to see them in the flesh.

2. kestrelart May 20, 2014 at 00:52 #

The holocaust memorial is an amazing place. When last there, I had not taken drawing stuff, but even had I done so, a sketch pad would seem inadequate. Might you post your drawing on the blog please?

• Rosie Scribblah May 20, 2014 at 12:42 #

Thanks. I did some tiny sketchbook drawings when I was there, but hardly more than a couple of annotated scribbles with ideas on how to proceed. The real work came afterwards when I started drawing from some photos taken at the same time and trying out different ways of developing the imagery. Up til now I’ve worked on Mark Resist (Mylar ) so this is the first time I have done it on paper and on such a large scale. I’ve put one of the Mark Resist drawings in my next blog 🙂

3. paperstew May 19, 2014 at 18:27 #

Installations are always intriguing for me, since I enjoy creating them. I’m loving how you’ve used the space, injected color and will, most certainly, incite a conversation about the piece. Wonderful work!
    Congratulations!

4. Sketchy on the Detail May 19, 2014 at 00:08 #

Your installation is amazing, I love the colours and hope the show goes well! 🙂

5. seascapesaus May 19, 2014 at 00:01 #