The Listener

31 Jul

leather cat storytelling

Here’s the final sketches I did at Friday night’s storytelling at Tapestri. I watched this elderly man as he listened intently to the teller …. and of course I had to scribble him! With these little sketchbook scribbles, I find that I generally don’t have to concentrate too hard so I can listen to music and stories as I work without missing too much.

I have been travelling across South Wales with Rhondda-born archaeologist Dewi Bowen and Swansea film maker Melvyn Williams, hunting the wild megalith, accompanied by my portable drawing board, portfolio of Fabriano paper and a bag full of assorted artist’s materials.  Dewi is researching his latest book on Neolithic monuments and Melvyn is making a documentary film of our literary and artistic adventures.

If you want to know more about my solo show in The Worker’s Gallery in the Rhondda Valley in September, please click here.

And if you want to see some of my other artwork, please click on the image below.

Quoit

10 Responses to “The Listener”

1. frankprem August 1, 2016 at 07:15 #

These are great Rosie. make me recall and miss the days of Open Mic in Melbourne – a long time ago.

Cheers,

Frank

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2016 at 08:07 #

Thank you, Frank. It’s a great opportunity for some sketching because people are so absorbed.

• frankprem August 1, 2016 at 10:08 #

Ha, Rosie, when I was reading on the little Spoken Word circuit I haunted, what they (we) were mostly absorbed in was when their next turn behind the mic was coming up, and their next beer. Not too much attention to the person on the stage at the time.

Funny to look back on, actually.

Cheers,

Frank

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2016 at 10:52 #

Yes, people are generally rapt. It’s the same in cafes too, people absorbed in their conversations or reading books. Makes life a lot easier for scribblers 🙂

2. sewinggoddess July 31, 2016 at 21:21 #

Did you scribble at the time or afterwards? I quite often draw at public transportation, but hesitate at my quite common urge to make a sketch of a person I see. I can’t decide if it’s rude or a compliment to draw someone. What do you think?

• Rosie Scribblah July 31, 2016 at 22:39 #

I almost always draw at the time, I rarely draw from photos. I generally draw when people are preoccupied and don’t notice me

• sewinggoddess August 1, 2016 at 11:29 #

Clever:)

• Alli Farkas August 1, 2016 at 20:56 #

I’ve probably posted something like this before, but this drawing reminds me once again of the ones I used to do while riding the commuter train to work in Chicago. Everyone was either asleep or had their heads buried in newspapers (it was way before mobile devices became so ubiquitous) and they were perfect subjects because they never moved!

• Rosie Scribblah August 2, 2016 at 06:53 #

Yes, trains are great for drawing 😀

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2016 at 22:51 #