More Left Handed Shenanigans

17 Dec

Drawings with my left hand.

I’m busy clearing out my studio at the moment to move to a new, bigger studio across the road and I’m using the opportunity to sort through and catalogue my work and also to be ruthless and bin stuff that doesn’t come up to scratch. I found this study and it’s more of the left handed drawings I spoke about recently. It’s a useful exercise to draw with your ‘other’ hand because it engages parts of the brain you don’t normally associate with drawing. These three heads were 5 minute poses drawn onto an A1 sheet of sugar paper with soft chalky pastels. In some ways I find it easier to draw with the other hand because I seem to be more analytical and the measurements and likenesses are easier to do. But the line is definitely more wobbly and harder to control, although sometimes it works very well like that. This is another elder model who has a brilliantly craggy and expressive face – great to draw.

12 Responses to “More Left Handed Shenanigans”

1. michaelbanak December 19, 2011 at 22:16 #

now this is very impressive.

2. Rosie Scribblah December 18, 2011 at 17:34 #

It’s great to try out this technique. Don’t worry, I’ve photographed and stored digital copies of the work I’ve thrown away, but I have to be strict or I’d have thousands of drawings hanging around. You should see my attic lol

• Wellness Spirit - Body, Mind and Spirit December 18, 2011 at 17:48 #

I’m just starting out so my collection is not as large as yours I am sure LOL!! I will be reading more of your blog to see if there are other techniques you suggest trying.

• Rosie Scribblah December 18, 2011 at 20:08 #

oo do keep on. drawing is so much a matter of practice. i can also recommend the ‘continuous line’ technique as well.

• Wellness Spirit - Body, Mind and Spirit December 18, 2011 at 20:31 #

What is “the ‘continuous line’ technique”? I never heard of it, do you have a post on this technique? I will look into it for sure thanks for the tip!! 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah December 18, 2011 at 21:00 #

I’ll blog about that very thing this evening lol. I was wondering what to blog about. In a nutshell it’s when you draw without taking your pen / pencil off the paper and you look at the drawing as little as possible. i’ll go look for an image now 🙂

• Wellness Spirit - Body, Mind and Spirit December 18, 2011 at 21:25 #

You Rock!!!

But it sounds difficult. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah December 18, 2011 at 22:16 #

no – it just takes a bit of practice – I just blogged about it – now off to watch some TV 🙂

3. Wellness Spirit - Body, Mind and Spirit December 18, 2011 at 16:21 #

I can’t wait to try drawing with my left hand!!! Congrats on the new studio, I hope to be building my studio next summer…can’t wait to have the work space.
    I very much enjoy reading your blog, you inspire me!!
    Cheers
    Anna-Lisa

• Rosie Scribblah December 18, 2011 at 20:15 #

It’s fantastic having a studio – it’s transformed my life! You’ll love it I’m sure 🙂

4. Hansi December 18, 2011 at 15:23 #

Way cool. Now I got to try that….Hey don’t throw out your trash (lesser pieces). I find it fascinating for review occasionally.. Kinda like a refresher course on how ya got to where you are with your work now. It’s All good.