Bath And Voyeurs

7 Jul

In between all the photopolymer [solar] plate etching over the last couple of weeks, I managed to proof three blocks I’d cut. They’re the first three of a series based on the concept of the artist as voyeur. I lean out of my second floor studio window and take surreptitious photos of people walking below, then I do drawings from them, transfer the drawings to signwriter’s foamboard and cut and incise the image. I’m very pleased with the results – I like the way each figure is restrained within the black square. There will eventually be nine in the series and I’ll probably do an edition of fifteen prints from each block. The foamboard isn’t as robust as wood or lino so the editions can’t be particularly large.

Tomorrow I’ll be finishing off some framing for the exhibition I’m having in Bath with a small group of artists. We’re calling ourselves and the exhibition Commensalis, so if you’re anywhere near Bath next week, please pop in and see us. The opening is on Monday evening and there will be cake! It’s in a spooky old mortuary chapel that’s been converted to a gallery in the ‘Artisan’ quarter of the city. There will also be performances of poetry, storytelling and Swedish Folk/Jazz throughout the week and fellow artist Melanie Ezra and I are ‘in conversation’ on the Friday evening. After all that, I’m going to have a few days off and wander around with my sketchbook, chilling out.

11 Responses to “Bath And Voyeurs”

1. Bitzy (@TheRealBitzyMum) July 9, 2012 at 09:35 #

Good luck next week x

2. paperstew July 9, 2012 at 05:00 #

Well done. Love the perspective!

3. notes to the milkman July 8, 2012 at 18:07 #

Misunderstood the title! Turns out that Bath referred to the city not the object where the voyeuring was taking place. Good luck with the exhibition especially on Friday the Thirteenth.

4. juice weleen July 8, 2012 at 09:27 #

Unusual idea but I love the notion of the artist as a voyeur/interpreter of reality. Aesthetically appealing as well

5. anita miller July 7, 2012 at 22:15 #

This is very interesting… I used to do printmaking (drypoints mainly). You don’t put these through a press do you? What kind of paper do you use?

• Rosie Scribblah July 8, 2012 at 23:36 #

Thank you Anita. I put these through a Colombian press using litho/relief ink and Fabriano Accademica 140gsm paper. However, I’ve taken some good prints by hand using the same paper and Daler Rownet block printing medium mixed with Georgian black oil paint, but there was a high failure rate because there is such a large area of black in each image that it was very hard to get an even print by hand.