Black On Black

16 Mar

16 mari

First off, Wales won the Six Nations Cup in the International Rugby today. A great end to a fab week. At the start Husb and I were in London for a few days, taking in some exhibitions. The Ice Age Art show at the British Museum was fantastic and it’s influence stayed with me during life drawing group on Thursday. We had a model who reminded me of the sculptures I’d seen at The British Museum so I pushed out of my comfort zone and used similar materials to the ones available to paleolithic artists, lumps of graphite, charcoal, chalk and carbon. I couldn’t use my usual fine line style so the drawing developed tonally using diagonal strokes, pulling the figure out of the darkness. It’s about A4 size and I prepared the background with a block of graphite before drawing on top. I like the effect of the different blacks on black. It’s on handmade paper I bought from the Tate gallery a couple of years ago.

11 Responses to “Black On Black”

1. cavepainter March 20, 2013 at 00:08 #

It’s amazing that many of the materials that we started using at the dawn of art are still with us. Materials that we still work, generation after generation, to master all over again. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah March 20, 2013 at 09:53 #

Yes – charcoal, chalk, coloured clays, graphite, all natural and still captivating us. Glorious stuff 🙂

2. Tin Roof Press March 18, 2013 at 11:25 #

really lovely. i agree its very like the Willendorf Venus

3. Lois March 17, 2013 at 00:18 #

OK, don’t rub it in about the rugby!! Great picture,she reminds me of the Willendorf Venus

4. notes to the milkman March 17, 2013 at 00:11 #

The expression suggests she’s an England rugby fan! 😉

5. Helen Cherry March 16, 2013 at 23:45 #

wonderful.. could be you full of curry!!!!! haha