A Quickie At The Cinema

9 Apr

9 cinema

Finally got to see The Hobbit at our local independent cinema, The Taliesin. I just had time to scribble this man and his hair before the lights went down, the glasses went on and I went back to my childhood. I read the Hobbit when I was about 10 and loved every word of it. I really like the film version and I’m looking forward to the other two parts. Though I couldn’t suss out which role was played by Barry Humphries until I got home and googled it. A far cry from Dame Edna! This is scribbled into my A5 pink recycled sari sketchbook that I bought really cheaply in a sale in WH Smith a while back, using a Pentel V5 drawing pen. It took about two minutes.

11 Responses to “A Quickie At The Cinema”

1. Helen Cherry April 12, 2013 at 00:06 #

Love this sketch.. I am not going to go see the movie though as I am furious at the cynical turning of 1 small book into 3 movies..

• Rosie Scribblah April 12, 2013 at 10:44 #

I had reservations about it, but I was blown away by it. I think maybe he should have done Lord Of The Rings as 9 films……..

2. kestrelart April 10, 2013 at 20:56 #

The Hobbit was exactly what I wanted in the film. I spent my childhood in Middle Earth, taking vacations in Narnia. I am always a bit wary of drawing random people. Good sketch.

3. ImJeffHanson April 10, 2013 at 00:25 #

Local Cinemas are the best! In Calgary we used to have 4, now we’re down to 2 and one isn’t looking so good. As for the Hobbit, I refuse to watch the film until all three parts are out, the whole LOTR series had 3 movies and now the hobbit (one book) gets 3 movies? I see what you did there… not cool. So I shall watch all three at once as if it were one big long movie. Also nice doodle!

• Rosie Scribblah April 10, 2013 at 08:21 #

Oh I couldn’t wait! I had to see it NOW lol. Thanks for the comment ๐Ÿ™‚

• gabrielgarbowota April 10, 2013 at 13:56 #

I was highly skeptical about the Hobbit-on-the-installment plan scheme, too. I was in love with the 90-minute Rankin animated version from decades ago, and had NOT particularly loved Jacksonโ€™s version of the Lord of the Rings (gasp!).
      I was very pleasantly surprised by the Hobbit, pt1. Strangely enough, the pacing seemed better in this movie than any of the Ring movies. As for the trilogizing of the story; I would chalk it up more to artistic over-enthusiasm on the part of the director than to a mere money-grab. To me, itโ€™s kind of like how successful musicians always seem to go for that slightly bloated double-album instead of a super-solid ten-song set.

• Hansi April 10, 2013 at 14:08 #

Wow…I thought The Hobbit was too long and slow, and was blown away at the end to find it was only Part 1. I want my three dollars back from our local Cheapo movie house ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rosie Scribblah April 10, 2013 at 22:16 #