A Stiff One

16 May

16 tonya

Back to normal and life drawing at Swansea Print Workshop this evening. I made a pear and chocolate sponge cake for our tea break. I often find that the drawings I do during the ‘long’ pose, usually about an hour, end up rather stiff, formal and academic. I suppose that isn’t a bad thing, but I wish I could get the freedom that I achieve in the short, 2 or 3 minute warm-up drawings. Ho hum.

Drawn in Faber Castell Pitt pens, sizes S and B and white and black conte crayons onto a piece of A4 mounting (matte) board, prepared with 2 coats of acrylic gesso and a black ink wash applied at random.

8 Responses to “A Stiff One”

1. Alli Farkas May 17, 2013 at 16:20 #

The more time you have, the more opportunity you have to fiddle with it and mess it up. I vote with the previous comment–do a lot of quick versions of that long pose.

2. kestrelart May 17, 2013 at 00:14 #

Are you kidding? This is full of life!

• Rosie Scribblah May 17, 2013 at 08:31 #

Thank you. It reminds me of the Victorian academic artschool drawings, but I guess that’s no bad thing. Sometimes I should get away from the scribbling, I suppose.

3. kate wilson May 16, 2013 at 23:59 #

cake recipe?

• Rosie Scribblah May 17, 2013 at 08:30 #

hahaha – it’s just a standard chocolate sponge recipe, but peel and cut up some fresh pears and put them in the bottom of the sponge tin before pouring in the cake mix. Like a pineapple upside down cake, but with pears.

4. notes to the milkman May 16, 2013 at 23:26 #

Is it a taught class where you have to do as you’re told? Or can you do several quicker drawings on the one pose while others are doing their ‘longer pose’ drawings?

• Rosie Scribblah May 17, 2013 at 08:29 #

No, it’s not taught. I could have moved around and done quicker poses, but I’m too lazy. And I had jet lag and it was warm and I nodded off and dropped my pen at one point. Maybe next week……

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. One From The Archives 17: Leg Up | scribblah - September 30, 2015

[…] can see from my fist blog about this drawing here, that I was mainly concerned about the technical aspects of the process at the time. With hindsight […]