OUCH! And Icecream.

20 Jul

20 fortes

Went to Mumbles this morning with Husb and Maminlaw and I FELL OVER! In the street. Just like that with no warning. I don’t know how it happened, but I ended up on the pavement cut, bruised but otherwise no damage except to my pride. There was nothing for it but a medicinal icecream so Husb drove us around the coast to Forte’s icecream parlour in Limeslade where I managed a vanilla wafer. It picked me up a bit and I sketched this, with bruised and bleeding hands, mind! I suffer for my art.

There are still many Welsh / Italian cafes and icecream parlours in South Wales. Many Italians came here during the late 19th century, mostly from the Bardi region, escaping the poverty of farming to try and make a better life as miners. They established a network of cafes, icecream parlours and fish and chip shops. Forte’s is one and still make their own gorgeous icecream to an old family recipe.

21 Responses to “OUCH! And Icecream.”

1. karasartisticaladventures July 21, 2013 at 18:21 #

Aww Naww! Glad you’re okay, at least ya managed to get to Fortes!!!

2. Hansi July 21, 2013 at 14:51 #

Medicinal ice cream? I gotta try that sometime; maybe the next time I’m at my local dispensary loadin’ up on medication. 🙂

3. Sonja Benskin Mesher July 21, 2013 at 06:11 #

i like mumbles, i like ice cream, i like your blog x

4. occasionalartist July 21, 2013 at 00:19 #

Glad you survived your spill, falling over is such a shock as an adult, we are much better practised as children. Lucky the same remedy still applies. Karen

5. occasionalartist July 21, 2013 at 00:19 #

6. paperstew July 20, 2013 at 23:27 #

Are you sure you didn’t do it subconsciously to get a little ice cream? Hehehe. 😉
    I’m glad you’re ok and I hope you heal swiftly. Nothing like bumps, cuts and bruises to make life harder.
    🙂

7. veronicacay July 20, 2013 at 23:15 #

glad you have no broken bones – but maybe time to do a bone density scan – it sneaks up on many of us 🙂 great drawing despite the damaged pride !

8. SiverBlack July 20, 2013 at 23:10 #

Ouch! I hope your hands feel better soon. I like the applied papers that you’ve drawn on. I wonder if it’s tricky to not think bout their shapes when you are daring over them.

• Rosie Scribblah July 20, 2013 at 23:19 #

Thanks. I don’t notice the added papers when I’m drawing at all

9. Red Hen July 20, 2013 at 23:08 #

Oh, you poor thing! That`s a right old fright. Good job you didn`t sprain your drawing wrist!

10. Lois July 20, 2013 at 23:02 #

Poor you, how horrid… I like the idea of medicinal ice-cream! Hope your hands are alright now, nasty, nasty thing to happen.
    Interested in your comments about Welsh Italian ice-cream companies, I taught a girl a couple of years ago whose grandfather (or maybe great-grandfather) was the original Mr Baldini.

11. llamadean July 20, 2013 at 22:45 #