Tiny Art In Cardboard Boxes

30 Nov

30 cardboard cityHere’s something different. I sent a little artwork to an unusual exhibition called Cardboard City which is starting in London tomorrow (Cardboard City was a collection of homeless people in Waterloo during the Thatcher years).  Artists were invited to submit a piece that reflected social cohesion and community spirit. Each piece has been mounted into a makeshift cardboard box and they’ll be released into the wild during the lead up to Christmas. The first cluster is going out on the 1st December and then daily up until Christmas Eve, beginning somewhere near the original site of Cardboard City and heading along the Southbank, right up to the doors of the Tate Modern.

The curator had a trial run today to see if people would open the box and look at the art – they did – and if you look closely at the picture you’ll see that it’s mine, with a lovely view of St. Paul’s Cathedral and you can follow the progress of the little artworks in cardboard boxes throughout December on Twitter here, or on the Collect Connect website here.  Or if you’re in London, go walkabout on the Southbank and enjoy these tiny bits of art.

And apart from this, I’ve had a lovely day shovelling manure on the allotment – gnats still there despite it being nearly December – and watched a cracking rugby international on the TV, Wales vs Australia. We lost but it was a great game, tight to the end.

15 Responses to “Tiny Art In Cardboard Boxes”

1. KnitNell December 2, 2013 at 10:02 #

I love this idea of the Art in Cardboard Boxes – hadn’t heard of it before so thank you for your Post and I will keep my eye out for some boxes next time I am up in town.

2. allesistgut December 2, 2013 at 09:09 #

Very cool idea!!!

3. Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2013 at 21:42 #

And here’s the first to be released into the wild….. http://collectconnect.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/cardboard-city-advent-first-artwork.html?spref=fb

4. Hansi December 1, 2013 at 15:58 #

How cool.

5. anna warren portfolio December 1, 2013 at 05:35 #

What a great idea. It would be fun to search out all the different artworks. Hope it goes well!

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2013 at 21:10 #

I’m hoping to get up to London for a day this month and follow the trail.

6. Russell. December 1, 2013 at 04:07 #

Sounds like you had a good day, have yet to dig in the compost over here. It’s a great idea the art project, taking art out of the gallery onto the streets. Russell.

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2013 at 21:11 #

I love democratising art. That’s why I blog my drawings 🙂

7. jhv57 December 1, 2013 at 02:55 #

Reblogged this on JHladikVoss57's Blog and commented:
    I like the low tech concept-subversive and fun!

8. jhv57 December 1, 2013 at 02:54 #

How cool is this as a concept? I appreciate the low tech/guerilla presentation-why do we think we need a traditional gallery all the time?

• Rosie Scribblah December 1, 2013 at 21:11 #

It’s great. I’m always looking for new ways to get art out there. Thanks for reblogging 🙂

9. Rosie Scribblah November 30, 2013 at 20:24 #

And here’s another participating artist http://melanieezra.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/opening-next-south-bank-london.html