Obsessive Culture

6 Jul

10 min head 1

Carrying on with the quick head sketches, I Googled another photo of an elderly woman and did a 10 minute timed sketch. I drew into my A4 hardbound sketchbook with a graphite stick and white conte crayon. I had prepared a lot of the sketchbook’s pages with brown wrapping paper stuck in with Pritt stick. As we age, the difference in looks between men and women becomes less obvious. I love to draw older people, their faces reflect the experience of a lifetime. I hate the way our culture is so obsessed with youth that many people have their faces stretched with cosmetic surgery, deleting the story of their life. Such a shame.

6 Responses to “Obsessive Culture”

1. kestrelart July 7, 2015 at 23:14 #

I agree with the others, the heads are great. What struck me is you are doing what I want to do but find so hard. Simple line drawing on toned paper. Highlights. … That’s it. Done.

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2015 at 23:47 #

Thank you. I find it useful to do some academic practice occasionally, really study a drawing and try to copy it, gives insight into technique. Egon Schiele is fantastic for studying line. So too is Leonardo da Vinci.

2. anna warren portfolio July 7, 2015 at 10:03 #

I am loving these heads!

• Rosie Scribblah July 7, 2015 at 10:58 #

Thank you Anna, I’m enjoying the speed and freedom of them

3. Sharon Mann July 6, 2015 at 23:08 #

I agree Rosie, are face lines are well earned! Love your face sketches. The brown glued on ahead of time is a great idea.

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2015 at 23:21 #

Thanks Sharon. I love drawing over the brown paper, much more exciting than just white 🙂