That Goldilocks Moment

20 Jan
Pip 1

Taking a rubbing from a woodcut with graphite block. Gives a metallic sheen.

I’ve been experimenting today. I was given some large pieces of robust tissue paper by a fellow artist and invited to do something with them and then give them back to her for her installation. I decided to cover them with rubbings made from a very large woodcut I have been working on. It isn’t finished yet so I don’t have any prints but the rubbings picked up the developed parts nicely.

Pip compare

I tried out a few different drawing materials to start with. First, carbon, compressed charcoal and Bideford Black (looked good but too smudgy). Secondly, Chinese charcoal (too hard, ripped the paper). And finally, Graphite block (perfect, didn’t rip, didn’t smudge, nice metallic sheen). Bit like Goldilocks and the porage.

There are differing opinions on how to spell porage, which is the spelling I always use but many use porridge and, rarely, parritch. I love the stuff, made nice and thin (Husb contemptuously calls it gruel – he likes it thick enough to stand your spoon in) and I put a knob of butter in mine, I’m not fond of sugar. When I was in Pakistan I had porage made from cracked wheat rather than oats, nice but very different.

10 Responses to “That Goldilocks Moment”

1. anna warren portfolio January 25, 2016 at 08:46 #

This is looking great – sometimes the silveriness of graphite is just not strong enough, but this is perfect. Maybe it is something to do with the size of your paper. What a nice thing to be able to play with!

2. Leonie Andrews January 22, 2016 at 00:13 #

Great experiment. I have one particular graphite aquarelle that I like, better than all the others – I assume it relates to the specific source. I have never seen your spelling of porage, but it makes sense. As for the stuff itself, I have to say I side with your husband. 😐

• Rosie Scribblah January 23, 2016 at 18:13 #

I haven’t tried graphite aquarelle, must have a go.

• Leonie Andrews January 24, 2016 at 01:56 #

The one I’m using is Cretacolor 8B aquarelle. I’m looking on their website but can’t see my version, but the closest seems to be Artist Studio Graphite Pencils. As mine came as a freebie from the Urban Sketchers Symposium it might just be different packaging.

• Rosie Scribblah January 24, 2016 at 05:56 #

Thank you. I’ll look out for it 😊

3. Phil Cooper January 21, 2016 at 15:28 #

Wonderful rubbing, love the scale of it!

4. allesistgut January 21, 2016 at 10:23 #