I did an initial cut on a square of soft vinyl a couple of days ago, dividing the piece into 9 small squares and now I need to get an idea of whether they’re okay, which ones need more cutting, which to discard. I could ink it up and put it through a press but that’s messy and time consuming so I put a sheet of tissue paper over it and rubbed it with the graphite stick in the photo, like people did with brass rubbings back in the 1970s. That’s enough information for me to decide which to carry on with. Two of the nine will be dumped straight away. One is simply the wrong shape for the square format and the other is too abstracted and I need to give it a rethink. So onto the next stage, most of them need a little bit more cutting, a bit of tidying up.
They’re all based on drawings I did in the field (literally) over the past few weeks of Bronze Age and Neolithic stone monuments across South Wales.