Mucky Hands and Monotypes.

29 Nov

Starting a monotype - VERY thin ink.

I spent a happy morning yesterday making some direct line monotypes down at Swansea Print Workshop. The trick to getting a good result is to roll out your ink VERY very thinly. I used Intaglio Printmakers oil-based litho/relief ink in black and a Japanese rubber roller inked onto apiece of Perspex. Don’t be tempted to add more ink because your paper will stick to the plate and there’ll be an awful blobby mess instead of some lovely lines. I based my monotypes on some life drawings I had done and I made tracings and reversed them and stuck each to the back of a piece of paper.

Direct line monotype: drawing onto the back.

I used a Zercoll 145gsm which is a lovely creamy colour. Previously I’ve used Fabriano Academia 120gsm,Β  acid-free cartridge paper and even acid-free tissue. I’ve never had good results from paper that’s heavy or textured. I put the paper face down onto the inked plate and I use a 2H pencil to draw deftly onto the back of the paper and then use an HB to go over key lines that I want to emphasise, keeping the pencils very sharp. You have to be VERY careful not to lean on the paper or rub it in any way or there’ll be a dark patch. When you’ve finished, peel it off and there it is! Easy peasy. And you can use the tracing again and again.

Direct line monotype: finished!

And now I’ve got mucky hands.

10 Responses to “Mucky Hands and Monotypes.”

1. jhv57 November 30, 2011 at 00:27 #

We call this trace transfer monotyping in the US. Amazed at the delicacy of line you achieve!
    I use this technique in my monoprint series-I use a juicier blend of inks–I like the drypoint-like fuzzy line, usually. Now, I’m going to practice a thinner inking–maybe a combo of light and heavy? Thanks! Something to mull over.

• Rosie Scribblah November 30, 2011 at 21:49 #

oo that sounds exciting – I’m a bit risk averse lol

2. paperstew November 29, 2011 at 23:12 #

I know about those mucky hands as mine are just as inky today with printing. Beautiful image and a fun technique. Thanks for sharing!

• Rosie Scribblah November 30, 2011 at 21:48 #

Thank you paperstew – glad I’m not the only one with Zombie hands lol

3. nelemon November 29, 2011 at 22:53 #

Oh, how I miss printmaking! Absolutely wonderful.

• Rosie Scribblah November 29, 2011 at 22:55 #

Thanks πŸ˜€ You can do monotyping like this without a press. A cheap roller will do. Good luck

4. Dianda November 29, 2011 at 22:31 #

Woah! Nice! πŸ˜€

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. One From The Archives 12: Eve Imagines Big Apple Crumble | scribblah - September 23, 2015

[…] earlier blog of mine details the process and pitfalls and can be seen here.Β  For this I used archival quality oil-based litho ink onto Zerkall […]

2. One From The Archives :2 | scribblah - September 9, 2015

[…] You can see more about the techniques in an earlier blog here. […]