Welsh Cakes, Swansea Jack And Ladies Who Lunch.

9 Feb

Ink sketch: ladies lunching.

Managed to catch Husb’s cold so I wasn’t feeling too good at the studio this morning; by midday I had an urge for hot chocolate and a Welsh Cake – unusual because I don’t have a sweet tooth but I’ve noticed that I like chocolate and cakes much more when I’m unwell. I wandered down to a little cafe called Starvin’ Jacks as they make their own Welsh Cakes. Jacks is the nickname for people from Swansea and it’s supposed to have come from a famous dog, Swansea Jack, who rescued many people from drowning around the Swansea coastline back in the 1930’s. There is a memorial to him near the beach opposite the old cricket ground.

I settled into a chair about halfway along the cafe, facing the window, and commenced scribbling. These elderly ladies were lunching happily with friends. The hot chocolate came with lashings of whipped cream and a small chocolate flake and the Welsh Cake was spicy and delicious. Coupled with the Beecham’s Powder I took before going to the cafe, I was fortified for a couple more hours and managed to get quite a bit more drawing done back at the studio, developing preliminary sketches for a large composition. I drew this in my little cat sketchbook that I had for Xmas. It’s currently my favourite sketchbook, having usurped my little A6 recycled leather-bound sketchbook as soon as I unwrapped it. Do other artists have favourite sketchbooks I wonder?

6 Responses to “Welsh Cakes, Swansea Jack And Ladies Who Lunch.”

1. Alli Farkas February 9, 2012 at 22:57 #

Really like the quality of this sketch–don’t know what the ladies actually look like, but this sketch looks to be a great capture of facial characteristics and expressions. I can almost feel what it would be like to be there in the cafe. Too bad you had to be sick to get there! LOL

• Rosie Scribblah February 12, 2012 at 13:34 #

I know. I should just go off to a cafe from time to timewithout feeling guilty because I’m not ‘working’

2. Roberta February 9, 2012 at 21:02 #

I hope you are feeling better. I am glad you added the info on welsh cakes. I wasn’t sure what they are but sound like what we call english muffins..

• Rosie Scribblah February 9, 2012 at 21:07 #

hmmmmm yes – they maybe. They’re very nice……

• karasartisticaladventures February 9, 2012 at 23:02 #

I have favorite sketchbooks! I did-as you know go through a long moleskine phase and now I am back on to ‘hand.book journel’ sketchbooks, which have lovely thick paper, but my fav sketchbooks are the amazing ones from Falkiners in London their own ones I think, they are so expensive though 😦
        but my fav one in terms of images is always the one i’m working on at that time! i’m just about to change sketckbooks actually which is always a slightly sad time, and I do find myself carrying around my old sketchbook for a few weeks into using my new one!

• Rosie Scribblah February 12, 2012 at 13:33 #