Cat And The Pencil Museum

3 Feb

03 cats an pencils

Still wrapped up in a blankie indoors getting more and more fed up, which probably means I’m on the mend. I’m fed up drawing the cats and fed up with my drawing pens so I had a scribble with Ming The Merciless into a larger A3 sketchbook and used some Derwent Academy watercolour pencils for the scribbling action. Now I’m not a big fan of pencils, or watercolours, but it’s a good exercise to break out of your comfort zone occasionally.

Derwent makes its pencils in the lovely Lake District town of Keswick and it is the home of the national pencil museum. Seriously, it’s a great place with the country’s longest pencil, some World War II RAF covert pencils and a factory shop. It’s brilliant. And so’s the Lake District.

11 Responses to “Cat And The Pencil Museum”

1. mags February 5, 2013 at 11:25 #

I’d never have known you’re not wild about pencils from looking at this – it’s great… full of life and character

2. tuttacronaca February 4, 2013 at 21:59 #

Hi! There’s an award fot you!
    All the best!

3. Russell. February 4, 2013 at 02:39 #

I thought you only had Sparta to contend with, but there’s a Ming aswell! Covert pencils sound like fun, wonder how they’re disguised? Keep your chin up, Russell.

• Rosie Scribblah February 5, 2013 at 20:33 #

Oh yes – and Ming is just as bonkers as Sparta 🙂 You’ll have to come to Britain and find out about the covert pencils yourself at the Pencil Museum lol 🙂

4. Sketchy on the Detail February 3, 2013 at 23:56 #

Breaking out of your comfort zone is fabulous, though Ming is not looking quite so Merciless today… 😉

• Rosie Scribblah February 5, 2013 at 20:42 #

Thank you – she’s a sweetie when she’s asleep 🙂

5. kate wilson February 3, 2013 at 21:39 #

Thanks for the link to the pencil museum…think I’d better visit.