Comfort Food

22 Mar

22 ben foreshort

Second day of Spring and what am I cooking for tea? Casserole and rice pudding. Proper Winter fodder because of the torrential rain, gale force winds and freezing temperature outside. No chance of a nice light salad for some time to come. Here’s another sketch I did last night at the life drawing group. It was very difficult to photograph because the Indian ink lines have reflected the light and gone white in some places. I also used white conte crayon for highlights.

16 Responses to “Comfort Food”

1. Nancy Farmer March 25, 2013 at 09:23 #

Hi Rosie, yes Indian ink does contain shellac. Lovely drawing, with or without the peculiar highlights! The shine reminds me of some drawings I saw done in gold point – like silver point, but more expensive – it’s literally a point of gold drawn over paper prepared with gesso – had that same weird golden shinyness to it. But then that was a photo too and when I tried to reproduce the effect I found it just came out a little brownish-grey.

• Rosie Scribblah March 25, 2013 at 15:56 #

Thank you. I’ve tried drawing with silverpoint but not heard of goldpoint. I must look out for it. Thanks

2. Russell. March 24, 2013 at 15:36 #

Thought it was about time for another culinery post. Great drawing, forshortened views are challenging. Interesting effect with the reflected light, and the drawing has an etched quality to it that I like. Good one! Russell.

• Rosie Scribblah March 24, 2013 at 20:15 #

Thanks Russell. It was very difficult to photograph. I think I’ll try it again in natural daylight 🙂

3. kestrelart March 24, 2013 at 02:04 #

This is a cracking sketch. Lovely use of the media.

• Rosie Scribblah March 24, 2013 at 13:47 #

Thank you. cI enjoyed doing it. I’m really getting into these pre-coloured cards, I normally use sketchbooks.

4. Have been really busy so am catching up on all the posts I have missed over the last week. Lousy weather in London on 22nd, today and more than likely tomorrow – lots of soup on the go. Love the sketch it reminds me of some of the projects I used to do at art college in the dim and distant past!

5. veronicacay March 23, 2013 at 22:46 #

great drawing – love the mix

6. this is lemonade March 23, 2013 at 16:59 #

Really nice textural drawing that. Love the different consistencies of the media used. Really interesting sketch, and love the feet in particular 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah March 24, 2013 at 20:17 #

Thank you. It was very absorbing to do. I’m enjoying using the precoloured card

7. Hansi March 23, 2013 at 14:46 #

Girl, you gotta eat more comfort food cause you really cranked out a nice one behind that stuff. I love the figure against the wash and scribbles; resulting in a nice blend of figurative and abstract work. Way cool!

8. Sketchy on the Detail March 23, 2013 at 10:30 #

Don’t forget snow…we’ve got snow today! I love the way your photo turned out, I had wondered how you went from dark to light in the same line.

• Rosie Scribblah March 24, 2013 at 20:18 #

No snow here – s’not fair! I was surprised how much reflection there is with Indian ink – I think it contains shellac.