Here’s A Cow

1 Oct

01 cowHusb and I spent a few days in Ireland last week and travelled up to County Clare for the first time. The scenery is spectacular but to be honest, I don’t like drawing land / sea scapes. I like to photograph them but drawing them leaves me cold. So I scribbled a cow instead. Here she is. She’s pale brown and creamy white.

We visited the Cliffs of Moher in the Burren Geopark and walked along the windswept clifftop path. It has been lined with large Liscannor flagstones, made from siltstone, that are covered with fossils; some are ‘trace’ fossils, the tracks of ancient animals in the soft mud; others are ripples from the bottom of the sea. I noticed that some of the fossil patterns look a bit like Celtic knotwork.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

14 Responses to “Here’s A Cow”

1. ziggyshortcrust October 6, 2013 at 20:14 #

Wow, the fossils really do look like Celtic knotwork. And I’m right with you about drawing landscapes.

• Rosie Scribblah October 6, 2013 at 20:25 #

They do, don’t they. I’d much rather draw people – and elves of course 🙂

2. seascapesaus October 3, 2013 at 00:37 #

I didn’t know I loved cows so much. It was like seeing an old friend! ‘Cliffs of Moher’ rings a bell but didn’t realise it was a cow bell. Nice juxtaposition of flowing lines.

• Rosie Scribblah October 4, 2013 at 09:37 #

Thank you. I hadn’t really looked closely at a cow before, I’m a real townie 🙂

3. Love the photographs of the cliffs and the cow drawing. I used to go to Ireland for holidays when I was a teenager and the cow drawing brings it all back

4. Alli Farkas October 2, 2013 at 17:13 #

Nice cow gesture!

5. allesistgut October 2, 2013 at 07:54 #

The cow is really cute. And the rock textures are pretty amazing.
    Have a nice day. 🙂

6. notes to the milkman October 1, 2013 at 23:42 #

I remember visiting the Cliffs when the children were quite young. I managed to hit a rock on the road which flattened the tyre. I had to change the wheel while it was stair rodding! I was soaked and had to drive back to the hotel minus trousers as they were so wet. (I did put them back on to go into the hotel!) Some years later, we bought an etching by Norman Ackroyd of the Cliffs of Moher. I wanted to put it in the bathroom so I could look at it while standing under a cold shower! The Management wouldn’t let me!

• Rosie Scribblah October 2, 2013 at 09:22 #

hahaha what a great idea. I’ll have to look out for that etching. The cliffs are spectacular and the roads are much better now.

7. Red Hen October 1, 2013 at 23:13 #

Co Clare is special. Hate that they charge so much to park at the Cliffs and see them. Love the Liscannor slabs though.
    Can`t see the cow pic. Could be a fault at my end though.

• Rosie Scribblah October 2, 2013 at 09:23 #

Oh dear the cow drawing should be at the top of the post 😦 The cliffs are truly spectacular and we’re keen to get back to The Burren. We have family in Kerry so visit quite a bit.