New Skills

27 Jan

27 new skills

No drawing today because I’ve been learning something new; I’ve been editing my first video. Last Spring, I went to Wingtip Press in Boise, Idaho to do an artist residency. While I was there I accumulated some simple film footage on my little Sony Cyber-shot and it’s been waiting 8 months for me to get round to editing it into a short video.

So I’ve been slaving in front of a hot computer all day, working on Adobe Premier Pro, cutting the footage together. I’ve done a rough cut and this evening I’ve been writing the commentary. The filming was completely unplanned and there’s no coherent soundtrack so I’m going to do a voiceover with subtitles. Husb has set me up with a YouTube channel and I hope to upload my very first film later this week.

13 Responses to “New Skills”

1. martinsdoodles January 28, 2014 at 13:37 #

Look forward to seeing the Premier 🙂

2. allesistgut January 28, 2014 at 08:40 #

This is on my to-do-list as well. Have much material from Iceland 2012.
    Have a lovely day.

3. Alli Farkas January 28, 2014 at 00:15 #

Go for it! I use Premiere Elements, but suppose it isn’t that much different from Pro, you probably just have a lot more “features” to discover. Will await the final result!

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2014 at 00:53 #

It will be very simple and basic, nothing fancy 🙂

• Alli Farkas January 28, 2014 at 17:34 #

I like simple and basic. As a professional video editor, I get somewhat annoyed when people who have just discovered video editing start using all kinds of special effects just because they can–instead of using an editing style that’s relevant to the subject matter. It gets really distracting sometimes–so yes, simple and basic, nothing fancy!

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2014 at 23:19 #

I have some very basic footage and lots of stills, so nothing fancy, just cut together with a voiceover and subtitles. Utilitarian is the best description 😀

4. paperstew January 27, 2014 at 23:02 #

Wow, I totally forgot you were doing that during the workshop. Looking forward to seeing it.. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2014 at 00:54 #

You look great and so do your monotypes

• paperstew January 28, 2014 at 02:01 #

You’re so sweet! 🙂

5. jhv57 January 27, 2014 at 22:07 #

Fun, isn’t it? I have one video for an art installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTwkH7YutA