Hare Cuts

26 Jan

26 print progress

*Groan*, another bad hare pun! I’m using some of the wildlife sketches I’ve done to develop some very simple lino blocks that will be printed up into smallish editions in the next few weeks. I’ve just made a start on the first one. I’ve hand drawn the hare onto the lino, using my original sketch as a guide and I’ve started cutting around the outer edge with a small gouge.

You can see my ‘slipstrop’ in the picture; it’s a leather sharpening block which uses a yellow polishing compound on its surface. I give my tools a couple of strokes on the strop after every 4 or 5 cuts to keep them sharp. Underneath is my bench hook; that’s what I cut the blocks on as they can be held firmly while I cut into them. The sharp tools can give nasty cuts if they slip, so a bench hook is a vital piece of equipment.

14 Responses to “Hare Cuts”

1. allesistgut January 27, 2014 at 09:00 #

This is really great. I would like to try that, too.
    Have a nice day. Snowy greetings from Germany.

2. Judith Hladik-Voss January 26, 2014 at 23:06 #

I like this bunches!

• Rosie Scribblah January 27, 2014 at 11:35 #

Thanks, I’ll carry on cutting today. I might make a matching pair, facing each other

3. notes to the milkman January 26, 2014 at 22:40 #

Don’t forget the Golden Rule of Linocuts! Count your fingers before you start; count them again at the end.

4. kestrelart January 26, 2014 at 22:04 #

Dear Rosie
    First – terrible puns, worthy of my 8 year old son. Keep them coming, please.

Can I ask you about your gouge. I m using cheap ones bought from Hobbycraft right now. Its interesting you hone every few cuts. I have a slip stone but perhaps its too coarse to use so often. I’m very much learning this technique.

Cheers
    Neil

• Rosie Scribblah January 26, 2014 at 22:41 #

I bought a very good set from a specialist timber store, they’re meant for wood turners but they’re excellent for block cutting. If you get your tools really sharp, with a smoother stone not a coarse one, use a slipstrop to keep them sharp. There are videos on shaprening tools on YouTube and quite a lot for Slipstrop. Good luck 🙂

5. paperstew January 26, 2014 at 20:38 #

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ‘slipstrop’ before. Interesting.

• Rosie Scribblah January 26, 2014 at 21:23 #

It’s made by Flexcut and it’s an American brand 🙂

• paperstew January 27, 2014 at 01:10 #

That narrows the field down a bit. I have seen the Flexcut before and they looked like a nice, but I’ve not invested in any new cutters of late. Thanks for the info. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah January 27, 2014 at 11:38 #

I have a nice pack of cutters in a pouch and also the slipstrop from Flexcut and I’m very pleased with them

• paperstew January 27, 2014 at 01:11 #

Oh, and I LOVE the hares!!!! Looking forward to seeing a proof.

• Rosie Scribblah January 27, 2014 at 11:38 #