More Of The Same

17 Oct

DSC08048 small

I had a marathon monotype session at Swansea Print Workshop yesterday and produced 4 full colour monotypes and 4 ‘ghost’ monotypes which is a record for me. I was corpsed at the end of it though. I drew the yellow and red plates in broad strokes with cotton rags and scrim (tarlatan). On the final, blue, plate I worked with tiny strokes and stabs with the scrim, covering the surface of the ink with tiny, tiny marks. When this was printed over the other two colours, it gave a soft twilight effect.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The slides show the prints taken from, firstly, the yellow plate, then the red overprinted onto the yellow, then the blue printed over the yellow/red. Finally, the ghost is produced by putting the plate through the press a second time to pick up the faint remaining ink, resulting in a ghostly image. I used Caligo ‘Safewash’ oil-based litho/relief inks, which give lovely intense colours with the added advantage of being easily cleaned in warm soapy water. Takes ages off the cleaning process. You can read more about the process here.

7 Responses to “More Of The Same”

1. paperstew October 18, 2014 at 17:11 #

Mmmmm color! Your feet must be exhausted from standing so long. Hope your body is able to keep it going, cause we all love seeing the next image…. and the next…. and the next…. 😀

• Rosie Scribblah October 18, 2014 at 17:31 #

My feet are still killing and it’s Saturday!!!! I’m getting old lol. There’s another one later 🙂

• paperstew October 18, 2014 at 19:43 #

Hopefully with a bit of a rest inbetween. Or are you trying to escape the wrath of Richard? 😉

2. Mary October 17, 2014 at 22:58 #

Four in one day!? No wonder you’re exhausted! This is a beauty, Rosie. Maybe my favorite of the series so far!

• Rosie Scribblah October 18, 2014 at 17:32 #

Thanks Mary. I’m trying to work quickly because l want to loosen up my technique in this method. I like what’s happening so far.

• Rosie Scribblah October 18, 2014 at 17:33 #

Thank you. I feel I’m making progress with this. I normally stick with nudes in this technique