The End Of The Road

27 Jan

11 tea cosy

It was a sad day in our city. A local man who was well known to many of us has died. I blogged about him a couple of years ago but didn’t say too much about him because he didn’t like a lot of attention. Tea Cosy Pete was a gentleman of the road, a man with a lifestyle that would be too eccentric for most of us, but for many decades he lived on the city streets, politely turning down offers of housing. Today the harsh lifestyle caught up with him and he died from a stroke, in his mid 60s. Peter was well liked, respected and accepted in a way that might not have been possible in larger cities. There has been a huge outpouring of grief across social media and the local press, with many tributes and  people telling their own Tea Cosy stories.

I often saw him standing and sitting around Swansea, but I only did one drawing as I felt uncomfortable about intruding into his privacy. It’s not something that normally bothers me, I think that artists are by our very nature, voyeurs, spying and scribbling. But it wasn’t the right thing to do with Tea Cosy Pete. May he rest in peace.

15 Responses to “The End Of The Road”

1. martinsdoodles January 28, 2015 at 12:10 #

Sad to hear that, RIP Pete

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2015 at 13:22 #

Looks like half of Swansea is going to turn out for his funeral 🙂

• martinsdoodles January 29, 2015 at 11:23 #

That’s fantastic, I won’t make that but just given a fiver to the Evening Post appeal.

• Rosie Scribblah January 29, 2015 at 13:13 #

Aw thanks. I’ve donated too and here’s hoping we can get a permanent memorial to him. He deserves it 🙂

2. Sonja Benskin Mesher January 28, 2015 at 10:13 #

bless x

3. allesistgut January 28, 2015 at 09:01 #

Sad story. But he’s now on a beautiful place. I can imagine you all miss him.

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2015 at 13:21 #

He’s being missed very much, he was in the city centre every day. Will seem strange without him.

4. marystreasurechest January 28, 2015 at 08:58 #

R.I.P. Tea cosy Pete. You were loved and respected by all who knew you and will be sadly missed x x x be at peace with the Angels

5. anna warren portfolio January 28, 2015 at 05:04 #

I think you are right – in a big city people like Pete would become part of the group of homeless people, and less visible. He was clearly an important part of life in your area.

• Rosie Scribblah January 28, 2015 at 06:55 #

I think his life also shows that it’s possible for communities to accept and look after such people on their terms which is a credit to the city.

6. Persia Karema January 27, 2015 at 23:59 #

How sad. RIP Tea Cosy Pete.