Waste Not, Want Not.

17 Jun

wpid-20150617_162951.jpg

So I was working with some fellow artists and one of them, a painter, chucked some black oil paint mixed with turps down the sink. Unfortunately, the sink was blocked so he filled it with water and squeezed some washing up liquid into it and suddenly it went all marbled. So, waste not, want not, I grabbed some of my Fabriano Accademica paper and threw it on top of the water and marbled my paper. It’s been sitting round for a few months and I’d just about forgotten about it until today, when I decided to do some drawing.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’ve been working on a series of silkscreen prints over the past few weeks, tight design and a very specific technical process and I wanted to get back to something intuitive, so I grabbed my marbled paper and various black drawing media: some willow charcoal, carbon, compressed charcoal and Bideford Black. And I got stuck in. I used an old life drawing very loosely as a basis and then got into the zone, moving the media across the paper, just letting it happen.

15 Responses to “Waste Not, Want Not.”

1. Art and Soul Space June 20, 2015 at 01:05 #

love your spontaneity and improvisation – making use of the unexpected and grungy and turning it into art.

2. kestrelart June 18, 2015 at 19:41 #

Shown this to my ten year old son who says this just looks awesome.

• Rosie Scribblah June 18, 2015 at 22:28 #

Awww thank you. I put it on Twitter and sold it this morning! I was delighted 😀

• kestrelart June 18, 2015 at 22:41 #

Rosie
        If I tried to organise a workshop somewhere of other amateurs in the UK who I’ve met because they share their blogs here, might you be interested in leading it (for payment of course)? it bears some thinking about and bloggers tend to be quite private and might not want to do this – but Outside Authority (no idea who he or she really is!) and I have been talking about how we find tuition which gave me the idea. I don’t know what people can afford. I am looking for something in between the daunting challenge of the more or less professional workshop of the Seabird Painting course and the basic learn to paint weekends that I see put on by places with spare residential capacity. Have you any advice on this idea generally?
        If you do want to discuss, I am on greyheron2@gmail.com.
        Thanks
        Neil

• Rosie Scribblah June 20, 2015 at 19:30 #

Thanks for this Neil. Give me a day or two to get back to you, I have a rotten stomach bug and it’s turned my brain to mush 🙂

• kestrelart June 20, 2015 at 19:37 #

No probs and no pressure

3. Doc Randolph June 18, 2015 at 19:08 #

nice move… nice work I always scavenge what i can but i have yet to make what i get be a nice as why you did with yours.. kudos and keep it up…what that sink ….. maybe even stuff it a little so it will save some more things for you to work with again nice work, thanks.

4. inari June 18, 2015 at 10:37 #

That’s brilliant – cleaver thinking 😉

5. Shaizu June 18, 2015 at 10:19 #

nice!

6. anna warren portfolio June 18, 2015 at 07:46 #

Very nice! Serendipity is a good thing!