A Head In 6 Minutes

4 Jul

6 minute head2

Sometimes it’s getting late and I haven’t done any drawing so I look around for something quick to do. I try to draw every day because that’s what underpins my practice as an artist, rather like a singer practicing their scales every day. If I’m stuck, I turn to the Internet and google images of people, choose one and time myself- a strict 6 minutes to scribble a reasonable drawing. I like to choose elders because their faces are so interesting, so expressive. They have history and stories flickering across their faces. I drew this with a graphite stick into my A5 black hardbound sketchbook.

6 Responses to “A Head In 6 Minutes”

1. allesistgut July 6, 2015 at 07:47 #

It’s a very expressive face. Great sketch again! Have a lovely Monday! 😀

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2015 at 09:14 #

Thank you. Hope you’re enjoying the heat – rain on the way 😀

• allesistgut July 6, 2015 at 09:55 #

The heat was …. uuurrrgghhh… Rain is welcome. We had some last night already.

• Rosie Scribblah July 6, 2015 at 10:10 #

Yes, it’s been very muggy here and now we’ve had the rain it’s much fresher. Two people were killed by lightening a few miles away yesterday though. Hope it doesn’t come your way.

2. SBosque July 5, 2015 at 06:42 #

I’ve learned this from you. When I go out to eat I always try to get something really fast. A table of interesting people, or just a sketch of a crowd. I have to hurry and not stare at someone for a long time! I’ve come to enjoy it.

• Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2015 at 08:45 #

That’s great. It’s fun and it really improves drawing ability because you have to focus on what’s fundamental to the composition.