Naked Man On A Stool

28 Aug

Alan on stool

Here’s another one from the archives. I still have a rotten cold and I haven’t done any drawing today because I’m wallowing in misery and grumbling for Wales! I went through a phase of doing these life drawings in watercolour and pens a while back, using Winsor & Newton paints, sable brushes and Faber Castell Pitt pens onto Cotman watercolour paper. I like to use the paints in this choppy, psychedelic fashion, getting away from realism. Now that I’ve revisited them, I really like the technique and I’m going to do more. When I get rid of this filthy lurgi. 😡

This model has been working with our artist group at Swansea Print Workshop for some years now. He’s an older man and a very experienced model. People think that it’s easy, just sitting around while people draw you, but it’s not. I’ve done it – it’s tougher than it looks.

Here’s a short video with me and some of my art, and two of my fellow artists. It’s showing alongside our current exhibition at Taliesin Arts Centre and it’s only 4 minutes. Just about bearable. And I don’t grumble once in it. Honest.

9 Responses to “Naked Man On A Stool”

1. Russell. September 3, 2015 at 23:44 #

These are great (commented on a previous drawing similar), they jump out of the screen, and the reflection adds another level of depth—bold! Russell. P.S.You’ve been busy, can’t keep up…

• Rosie Scribblah September 4, 2015 at 18:46 #

I’m a bit shattered, no peace for the wicked – or the self – employed!

• Russell. September 4, 2015 at 18:50 #

It’s a hard slog….have a great weekend 😉

• Rosie Scribblah September 5, 2015 at 03:51 #

Thank you. I am babysitting 3 crazy nephews, so still no peace! Fun though. Amazing how many pancakes 3 boys can put away😀

• Russell. September 5, 2015 at 19:12 #

Yes they can eat alright, I think their insides are a bit like the Tardis 😀 Hope you’re getting enough sleep.

2. Lois August 31, 2015 at 00:03 #

I love this!

3. mrsdaffodil August 30, 2015 at 20:22 #

I really like this technique, too–I look forward to seeing more of them. Have you read Peter Steinhart’s book, “The Undressed Art: Why We Draw”? He talks about artists’ models and why they do it. I agree that it’s not an easy thing to do.