Up The Workers

28 Oct

Of Site & Song Exhibition Workers Gallery (1)

In this era of austerity and cutbacks, it’s so good to acknowledge a success story. Just over a year ago, two artists, Gayle Rogers and Chris Williams took over the recently closed public library in the little village of Ynyshir, up the Rhondda Valley and reopened it as a gallery. Not only a gallery but also a studio, a cultural reading space and a meeting venue for the community. They have just celebrated their first anniversary and will shortly open their Winter show, Of Sight And Song. I’m so flattered that they have chosen one of my images, a manier noir drawing inspired by The Holocaust Memorial, for the poster and invitations and I’m chuffed to be exhibiting in The Workers again.

A great venue, please do make an effort to get up the Rhondda Valley to visit it. The area is fabulous anyway, great scenery, interesting history and the very best chip shop in Ferndale. The show opens on November the 5th and runs until December the 23rd.

15 Responses to “Up The Workers”

1. Phil Cooper October 31, 2015 at 01:20 #

So good to read about good news stories like this, and what a great poster image!

2. kestrelart October 29, 2015 at 21:05 #

Great image. I have seen the memorial, but before I was in the habit if drawing wherever I was.

• Rosie Scribblah October 29, 2015 at 22:41 #

Thank you. It was too cold to do much drawing, I did most of the work from photos πŸ™‚

3. Michael Richards (certainline) October 29, 2015 at 14:28 #

As I was reading this I thought ‘closed library – oh no’ but the story has such a happy ending. Well done to Gayle and Chris!

4. Kate Fern October 29, 2015 at 12:46 #

wonderful to hear that a closed library is still a community space, congrats to all involved πŸ™‚

5. allesistgut October 29, 2015 at 08:31 #

Congratulations. What a honour they chose your image. That is really great! Have a happy day! Greetings from the sunny Baltic Sea. Sun is shinging since many days here. Autumn at its best.

• Rosie Scribblah October 29, 2015 at 10:30 #

Thank you πŸ˜€ Miserable and raining here, although unseasonably warm. I think the rain might be heading your way. Sorry πŸ˜‰

6. Leonie Andrews October 29, 2015 at 02:22 #

Congratulations!

7. Sharon Mann October 28, 2015 at 23:14 #

Sounds wonderful, be sure to take pictures of us in faraway places. 😊